Vari speed pump requirement

Nova13

Jan 23, 2013
Someone said that the rule to install this type only applies to dealers or installers not the homeowner.

I'm speaking in terms of Florida.

Also these pumps can complicate solar installs,

I was told a contractor can only install vari speed motors not single speed.

But a homeowner can install a single speed motor.

That requirement doesn't apply to home owners doing their own work.

I assume you're talking about the rules for new installations of pools and spas. If so, that is correct. On a new install,or replacement, a contractor is prohibited from installing a single speed pump except in special circumstances (i.e. booster pump). They can however, install 2-speed pumps. It isn't just restricted to variable speed models.

And as some locations have discovered, once everyone starts using less power ... then the power companies raise rates to keep the same income :hammer:

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Not sure where you were going in Florida, but in Lakeland, the pool stores are pushing the variable speeds not the dual speed. Tried to explain over the life (5 years) the upcost of the variable speed doesn't pay for itself. The dual speed is the way to go. Didn't want to hear it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.