Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electric sub panel recommend

1. Back To Top    #1

Electric sub panel recommend

I want to set up a 50 amp sub panel for pool and spa and a few accessories, any suggestions on this?

I saw one at Home Depot but thought you guys may have suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electric sub panel recommend

Really the only thing that matters is that there are enough slots to hold all the breakers you need and whether it is an outdoor rated panel.

As with everything, there are the homeowner versions and the more expensive "commercial" lines ... but they all work just fine.

There are other details, such as the bus material, visual indicators on the breakers, etc that matter to some, but not really that important.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The cost difference between the residential and commercial grade boxes shows up clearly when you price out the GFI breakers you may be using.

Suggest taking a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot if any of those are near. They often have pre-packaged sets that include GFI breakers and are very reasonably priced. They're usually intended for spa use and therefor have capacity for just a couple of circuit breakers (CB) but you may find just the right combination of 50A and enough CB positions that'll work for you.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

4. Back To Top    #4

ok, I have both nearby

5. Back To Top    #5

I just had a 40A panel installed for my pool. It was a bit of a surprise to me when the electrician said I could not just run romex through my attic but needed to run conduit in the attic for the panel. Also, he had said he could run a 55A panel for me on #8 wire... but when he actually installed it he breakered it at 40A saying he needed to derate the #8 wire because of the heat in the attic.

oh yes, he used a GE panel... I did not think to ask up front because my other 3 sub-panels are all Square-D an use common breakers - too late now.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

6. Back To Top    #6

Never heard that you need conduit to run a sub panel #6 or #8 wire thru an attic????

Anyone have input on that?

7. Back To Top    #7

There are all kinds of special cases in the code about cable runs. Using conduit is certainly not required, but I could easily see it being chosen as the simplest option in some situations.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There are all kinds of special cases in the code about cable runs. Using conduit is certainly not required, but I could easily see it being chosen as the simplest option in some situations.
    The electrician we hired kept saying it was "required" although the inspector never looked at it. From what I understood (and I could be wrong) the requirement was for a 4 wire run with an insulated ground and individual wired in conduit does that. It was sure news to me since everything else in the attic is just romex.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

9. Back To Top    #9

It may have been a cost saving in materiel for him????