Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquid filled pressure gauge! Inexpensive!!!! 8.19 (9/12/13)

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid filled pressure gauge! Inexpensive!!!! 8.19 (9/12/13)

Hello All,
    (Updated 9/12/13) just received an updated email.

Here's the link to the current sale: http://www.directmaterial.com/category_ ... Click=6420

Our low prices go even lower with the discount you earn by entering the coupon code 1309MX when you check out of our online store. Free shipping with orders of $99 or more. Order now to lock in the savings.

Oil Filled Pressure Gauge (Stainless/Brass)

* 100% Triple Quality Tested: Calibrated, Over Pressure and Accuracy Tested +/- 1.6%
    * 1 1/2” to 4” Dial size (Crimped Casing). Dual scale readout.
    * Pure glycerin oil-filled stainless steel case behind polycarbonate window. Copper alloy movement, tube, and connection.
    * Vacuum Pressure Gauges available in -30Hg/0, -30Hg/15, -30HG/30 and -30Hg/60 ranges. All pressure ranges between 15psi and 15,000psi are available.

PB gauge
    Size 1 1/2” 2” 2 1/2” 4”
    Mount 1/8”Lower 1/8” Center Back 1/4”Lower 1/4” Center Back 1/4”Lower 1/4” Center Back 1/4” or 3/8”Lower 1/4”, 3/8” or 1/2” Center Back
    Sale $7.62 $8.13 $7.62 $8.13 $7.62 $8.13 $21.50 $22.19

This is what I used to replace my broken PSI gauge. It's been in operation for over 24 months and no problems. This is a great price for a liquid filled gauge. Direct replacement for the standard ones that last a season or so.

I don't work for the company or anything like that but want to save you some money.
    They offer 15/30/60/100 PSI and up for $8.19.

Here's the direct link:
    http://www.directmaterial.com/2_Liquid_ ... pb204l.htm

This image is stock provided by site.

Hope someone gets use from them.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid filled pressure gauge! Inexpensive!!!! SALE $7.99

Hey, I got one of those. Of course it's on the hydraulic system on my tractor! I'm not sure my Sand Dollar would even stand enough pressure to move it off the peg!

I have a -30" hg to 30 psig Wiki gauge on the pool filter. It looks just like the one pictured above except it's all stainless.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

HOT DOG!!! What a deal.
    Thanks for the find.
    Oil filled gauges are the best. They can last seemingly for an eternity.

Is this the company you bought yours from? D they seem well built and is the company easy to do business with?

I don't have a sand filter, but planning on getting one. Looks like a good time to secure a superiour gauge now, so I have it for next year.
    What pressure range should I get? Is 30 PSI too much, or is, say 20 PSi better? Don't want it so big that it's super low on the scale. HAHA
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Depends on your pump and setup. With my old pump, I was over 20psi. After installing a smaller 2 speed and replumbing the pad, I am now just under 20psi.

I think a 30 psi should be a safe bet.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Most pool pumps are capable of building a little less than 40 psig and since most systems run between 10 and 20 psig, a 30 psig gauge puts the operating pressure about in the middle which is where you want it to run.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Most stock gauges I believe are 0-60 psi that come with pool equipment, and the max pressure for the equipment is 50 psi typically. If your normally running below 20 I'd say a 30 psi gauge would work for you but you'd wouldn't know how max. your system went to if you exceed 30 psi. With that being said I've got the 0-30 PSI gauge and I'm happy with it but my pressure has never gone above 20 psi.

I purchased my gauges from them and they shipped quickly. The liquid gauge will replace the gauge on cartridge/DE/sand filters with 1/4" NPT Lower Mount treads.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

...and a simple 1/4 NPT elbow will make it work for filters with rear-mount gauges, right?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    ...and a simple 1/4 NPT elbow will make it work for filters with rear-mount gauges, right?
    For an extra dollar you could get the 2.5-inch gauge with a center-back mount: http://www.directmaterial.com/2_1_2_Liq ... pb254b.htm
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks...didn't notice that.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

The specific one listed and linked has a number of copper alloy parts - is that OK with a pool? There was another option for an all stainless one - a little under 2x the money.

My filter gauge today sits almost parallel to the ground - Hayward SP0714 valve. Does that mean I need a right angle adapter to have it sit vertical and is that important?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

No problem with mine that I installed over 18 months ago. Sits out in the sun for most of the day.

12. Back To Top    #12

My 3 mo. old gauge is stuck on 20.. This is a real stupid question.. and I'm sorry. The gauge in the photo doesn't have the same numbers on the face of mine. If I bought a 60psi one, would it go from "0" to "60?"

Is the 1/4 fitting what I need for a DE Pentair?

Thanks in advance!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

13. Back To Top    #13

This is the description of the gauge:Pressure Gauge - 2 in. - 0-60 psi, 1/4 in. Bottom Mount - Plastic Case

Yes you need 1/4 in fitting. Here's the one you need. It's on the link on the first message:
    DCPB204L-060 2" Liquid Filled Pressure Gauges - Lower Mount - 60 Psi

14. Back To Top    #14

Thank you.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net

15. Back To Top    #15

Decided I would like to get one of these for my filter. But they add nearly $12 for shipping ONE gauge? I suppose I'll see what's available locally first.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

16. Back To Top    #16

http://www.amazon.com/2-1-Oil-Filled-Pr ... s_indust_4

Try Amazon.. I didn't find any 2" gauges... just the 2-1/2" ones. Good luck!
    Helen

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by HarryH3
    Decided I would like to get one of these for my filter. But they add nearly $12 for shipping ONE gauge? I suppose I'll see what's available locally first.
    I just ordered three gauges and the shipping was $9.19 total using the USPS option. The price of them has gone up a little but the shipping was reasonable. $36 including shipping for three gauges of my choice is a great deal.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Just ordered one for myself! thank you for the heads up, I love a good deal
    "There are no bad days, just some better than others"

18k, Ig Vinyl, 3/4 us motors, Hayward sand filter, quickpure3 ozone generator

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by HarryH3
    Choose the USPS Priority Mail option, it was the default when I checked just now. Shipping price for 1 gauge is $6.77, so that makes it about a $15 gauge. Not bad.

See below for some more gauge options and my ultimate choice. Will report back on it when I get it and put it in use on my as yet to be purchased sand filter. HA
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    The specific one listed and linked has a number of copper alloy parts - is that OK with a pool? There was another option for an all stainless one - a little under 2x the money.
    UWV, Interesting question. At 1st, I thought to myself, OK.. the internals of the gauge will never touch the pool water. Well, after looking it up, that's sort of true. As originally thought, the gears, needle, pivots, etc.. will never touch the pool water. They're permanently suspended in the oil for lubrication and anti-shock against pressure surges causing sudden and abrupt needle movement. Like when you fire up the system, or shut it down, or get a clog when using the vacuum, even a brief clog, etc..

Then I got to looking at how it's designed. I know what a manometer is, pronounced (mah-nom-eh-ter) the 'a' like in "ma" for 'mom'. Pretty cool invention, I have studied it a bit in the past. Ever heard of a sphygmomanometer? That's a stethoscope. Sphyg comes from sphygmos (Greek), which means "pulse". It literally means "to measure your pulse". Laennec (pron. like it's spelled, or Leinek) the father of thoracic medicine, was a genius!!
    Ooops, off track.

OK, so a Bourdon tube, another French scientist, converts pressure into displacement and as it travels into the copper tube, it literally bends the tube as the pressure restores the tube's round shape from its flattened state, thereby moving the needle via a cantilever at the end of the tube. NEAT!!

The pool water, or whatever other fluid you'd hook the gauge up to, does enter that copper Bourdon tube. But I imagine that once it's in there, it stays until you shut the system off. So if you do this, say 1x/day, your getting something like a ml or 2 of "copper infused water" back into your pool. I'm not sure how big the tube is in the unit. I wouldn't think it'd be an issue, as I'm sure Chem Geek would say it's so little it's not even there.

I'd be more concerned with the fact that chlorine is corrosive to copper. Not sure how long it'll take to break down. I imagine the movement would die, or the tube would break before the copper got destroyed.
    Here's a cool drawing showing the tube & how it works.

The only other option would be a bellows or diaphragm based gauge.

Here's a center back mount 1/4" (bottom avail.), all stainless wetted parts, 30psi 2" gauge. Has a whopping 5yr. warranty and a restricted orifice to reduce pulsations and wear on the gauge internals.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087UPTGK/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
    It's about $23 /w free frt.

It looks like most of these gauges use "phosphor bronze" as the material for the Bourdon tube. Which is mostly copper, but...
    Wikipedia shows the following:
    "....used in situations where resistance to fatigue, wear and chemical corrosion are required (e.g., a ship's propellers in a marine environment)."
    So maybe it's all good in the end.
    Then again, I looked at a chemical compatibility chart, according to that, both brass & copper show the following compatibility ratings.
    Sodium hypochlorite <20%, sodium chloride, salt water, chlorine water = Severe Effect, not recommended for ANY use.
    Stainless steel both 308 & 316 for chlorine water = Fair -- Moderate Effect, not recommended for continuous use. Softening, loss of strength, swelling may occur.
    I'm all but certain that our "chlorine water" & theirs are 2 different things. HAHA

Having looked at gauges on Amazon and already having looked on websites elsewhere, seeing crazy high prices on these. I have decided I'm going to go with this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087USYQ2/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
    It's actually cheaper than a single gauge (includes freight) from the OP's linked vendor & it's even better quality.
    It has the brass internals spoken of in the previous paragraph and it has a 5yr warranty. That says a lot to me, but not always indicative of product reliability. This is an industrial brand and not a "value oriented product", so it appeals to me, a step up if you will.
    It can handle up to approx. 50psi working pressure before it breaks and a 25% surge, so 37psi.
    Pretty cool!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast