Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found the leak, Now what???

1. Back To Top    #1

I found the leak, Now what???

Hi TFP Friends,

I did a baqua to cholrine conversion back in April and had a fantastic and less expensive summer! The only problem that I ran into was that I was losing water...a significant amount, over 250 gallons a day while running pump. I added water throughout the summer, did a bit of troubleshooting but wasn't able to find anything significant until recently when I noticed a bit of water that was coming out from under my flagstone patio - and dug a bit to find a larger puddle with bubbles coming from the return plumbing. This is where I am at right now but wanted a bit of advice on how to proceed.

I plan to dig more around the plumbing today to try and find the location of the leak, but the weird part is that I don't think there are any fittings so it may just be leaking straight from the pvc. If this is the case, can I just cut and sharkbite the plumbing or will I need to be a bit more involved?

Anyway, I will take pictures and keep you all posted on the progress.
    13K gallon cement pond, WetEdge Pebble, Raised Spa w spillover, Pentair 2HP pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair Sand filter, Pentair EasyTouch control system, Pentair heater, Blue Diamond robot, Taylor K-2006C test kit, TFP Pool School student

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I found the leak, Now what???

I would not recommend using sharkbites. They are unreliable not only in my experience but also in the experience of my plumber. It's not hard to cut and splice PVC, that's the right way to do it. Your biggest challenge is going to be making room to get the splice onto the pipe once you cut it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sharkbite is not intended for PVC per their website and this post: http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/shark-bit ... post355594

Per Sharkbite...
    "SharkBite Fittings allow users to easily connect any combination of CPVC, copper, or PEX tubing."
    Note that this is CPVC not PVC pipe. I'm not sure what the difference is - I know there is a chemical difference and that CPVC is rated for hot water while PVC is not - I wonder if the CPVC expands at a different rate than PVC and if that is why the CPVC is OK and PVC is not.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice. Rained all day yesterday so I wasn't able to get any further. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again!
    13K gallon cement pond, WetEdge Pebble, Raised Spa w spillover, Pentair 2HP pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair Sand filter, Pentair EasyTouch control system, Pentair heater, Blue Diamond robot, Taylor K-2006C test kit, TFP Pool School student

5. Back To Top    #5

17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

6. Back To Top    #6

So I finally beat the rain today and dug down a bit more to uncover the leaky plumbing and it is quite the leak! It is more than a trickle when the pump is off and once the pump is on it starts gushing.

I am not entirely sure how to proceed and have begun the research phase. Any suggestions while I start going through the archives? Pics are attached

7. Back To Top    #7

What kind of pipe is that?

- Sent using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jparr
    http://www.plumbingsupply.com/quick-repair-fittings.html
    Those seem clever. Have you used them?

- Sent using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9

I believe it is black poly pipe based on doing a bit of research so maybe some barb fittings and hose to hose clamps are what I should use?

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd get a plumber to come in and replace since its not the standard PVC that most use.
    26,000 gallon gunite IGP with 50 sq ft Spa, Jandy VS FloPro 2hp Pump, Jandy DEV48 Filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG, Jandy AquaLink PDA-PS6 Controller, RayPak R406A Heater, Polaris 380 Cleaner, completed April 2013

11. Back To Top    #11

It looks like black poly to me too. The barbed fittings and clamps will work fine as long as you can get to some good pipe. I'd double clamp them just cause I'm like that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

We replumbed our suction side plumbing on our old 1946 pool with black poly in the 60's and it did fine until we tore out the pool in 2003. Double-clamps everywhere, of course. I'm guessing that split is caused by a freeze/improper winterizing. Is it the low point in the run? How far North are you?

Anyway, it's something you might want to keep in mind when closing the pool.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the advice. It is the low point in the plumbing, I did blow out the lines last year to winterize but there must have still been a bit left in the low point. I am in Connecticut and although it was mild for a Connecticut winter, it was still cold enough for long enough to freeze.

I tried the repair this afternoon and unfortunately didn't have too much luck. I cut a 1 foot section out and tried the barb fittings. I got them in there by lightly torching the poly but when I fitted the clamps and opened the returns it leaked still. I am not sure if sliding the fittings into the warm poly melted the fittings a little bit but it didn't even seem close to a leakproof fit.

Is there anything I need to know about the barb fittings and clamps that I am missing? Perhaps I shouldn't have heated it up to fit?

14. Back To Top    #14

Here's a pic without the clamps, is it not tight enough?

15. Back To Top    #15

It looks ok to me. As long as the barbed ends are at the proper depth to ensure good contact for the clamps.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

I remember the guys working with black poly back in the day. The pro's back then would not use a torch but simply ball up a page of newspaper under the pipe end and set a match to it. This high-tech approach presumably provides a more uniform and less intense heat than a torch. Just thought I'd put that out there in case you ever have to do it again.

And yeah, those joints look fine. Double clamp, right? I don't know why they would leak. Pretty sure there is no way the warm poly would hurt the barb fitting. Ratchet down on the clamps and try again. They had to be pretty darn tight to take pressure. (I had some 2" barbs I undid and redid every year to winterize--I also had steel fittings--you can still get those.)

I bet that was a real pain to get in there.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks everyone for your help - I think the problem was me not understanding properly what you all meant by double clamping. I only single clamped the first time and unfortunately was so impatient I re-cut out the section of pipe and tried again. This time I was a lot more careful with the torch to just heat up the pipe, slid in the fittings on either end of the pipe in the ground. Then I pulled up on both ends of the pipe that was underground and stuck the new section in and put some downward pressure and it was so tight that the fittings set without heating up the new pipe. I then double clamped (8 clamps total) alternating directions of the clamps. I have been running it for 2 days with no leaks!

And yes, it was a pain! But overall doable if you can find the leak.

Thanks again for everyone's help - I really appreciate it!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by tideman
    Thanks everyone for your help - I think the problem was me not understanding properly what you all meant by double clamping. I only single clamped the first time and unfortunately was so impatient I re-cut out the section of pipe and tried again. This time I was a lot more careful with the torch to just heat up the pipe, slid in the fittings on either end of the pipe in the ground. Then I pulled up on both ends of the pipe that was underground and stuck the new section in and put some downward pressure and it was so tight that the fittings set without heating up the new pipe. I then double clamped (8 clamps total) alternating directions of the clamps. I have been running it for 2 days with no leaks!

Can you post a picture of the fixed section?

19. Back To Top    #19

Here you go. The reflection obscures the view of one side but you can see the one connection really well.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by tideman

The fact you say "alternating directions" makes me assume you are using "normal" screw clamps - the kind you would find at Home Depot.

If you ever have to use clamps again (and who doesn't) try using Oetiker clamps. They get crimped on using a special pair of pliers (if they run you more than $15 you paid too much) and make a much tighter seal. I use them on home brewing beer lines. If I use them in THAT important an application you know they are good.

Google them, or look at them http://www.hweckhardt.com/clamps/OetikerMain.htm

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast