Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ground preparation above ground pool inground

1. Back To Top    #1

ground preparation above ground pool inground

Hello,

IŽam going to bury my oval pool and here in Europe they always make a cement bed as a foundation for de pool but I see that in the VS you bury the pool on sand. Can I put the pool on the ground or must I do some ground prep? The ground here is a solid one so I think that the water can act as the proper foundation off the pool.

Thanks,
    JJ
    Buried oval above ground pool, 12x24, 7000gal
    Using the BBB method
    Sand filter 45kg, Pump 1000gph.
    Living in Portugal, Europe.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ground preparation above ground pool inground

Determine where the high side of the ground is and dig down so that is level with the lowest side, you need a levelling aid for this as the human eye is not sufficient. You need to dig down to undisturbed soil.

There's a of above ground pool install videos on line that show this technique, I have alot of pictures on my own install linked at the bottom of this message, it should give you an idea of how it goes.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

The ground can be the foundation if properly prepared. The sand helps cushion the feet and protect the liner from rocks underneath and prevents the liner from pushing out and under the pool wall. Thick foam can accomplish the same thing. How deep do you plan to bury the pool?
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

IŽam burying the pool totally inground. the last 8-10 inch off the pool are gone a be made off concrete with pavement on top off that so that the concrete is not doing any forces to the side walls off the pool.
    Buried oval above ground pool, 12x24, 7000gal
    Using the BBB method
    Sand filter 45kg, Pump 1000gph.
    Living in Portugal, Europe.