Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Location filter + pump above water level

1. Back To Top    #1

Location filter + pump above water level

IŽam installing an agp inground and wanŽt to know if I can install the pump and filter above water level?

Buried oval above ground pool, 12x24, 7000gal
    Using the BBB method
    Sand filter 45kg, Pump 1000gph.
    Living in Portugal, Europe.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Location filter + pump above water level

Most AGP pumps are designed to be below the water level to ensure priming. If you are going to locate the pump above the water level, priming becomes questionable ... with some work you might get it flowing. But, you most likely will want to use a pump designed for an in-ground pool that has the capability of generating a low enough pressure at the impeller to allow priming.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Gainesville, fl

Something I have seen that I thought was nice was they dug a separate hole for the pump/filter that was just below water line and big enough to step into and do any maintenance. They also covered it with a door like thing like you see in cellars. I wished I would have taken pictures, but it was raining so much I was not sure you could see anything. It was at a house for sale that I went to look at. It was advertised as a IGP but when noticed right away that it was a AGP.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

Some AGP pumps are rated to lift water. My Pentair Dynamo is rated to lift water 8'. Most of the time the pump even in a buried pool situation will only be a foot or so above the water level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/Œhp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit