Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine question for my green pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine question for my green pool.

Hi I am new here. Could you please tell me what the comparison to the 5 gallon bucket (the big blue thing I bought at a pool store) of Accu Chlor chlorine is to household bleach. I have been told by my pool store to add all 4 buckets totalling 20 gallons at once and I am hesitant to do so. My above ground 24' pool is green and this is my 3rd process of chemical round to try and clear it. It now has 25 lbs of Alkalinity Rise in the pool and I am thinking of just doing one bucket at a time until it clears up. I only have strips for testing at the moment. I am looking to use your methods instead of the pool store, but since I have the chlorine, I want to use it up some how. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Ramas
    Pool Type: AG
    Pool Size: 13600 gallons (24' round)
    Filter Type: Hayward Sand Filter S180T with SP0714T Valve
    Pump: Hayward
    Age of Pool: Not sure. Bought house 5 years ago and was pre-existing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine question for my green pool.

Quote Originally Posted by ramas
    Hi I am new here. Could you please tell me what the comparison to the 5 gallon bucket (the big blue thing I bought at a pool store) of Accu Chlor chlorine is to household bleach. I have been told by my pool store to add all 4 buckets totalling 20 gallons at once and I am hesitant to do so. My above ground 24' pool is green and this is my 3rd process of chemical round to try and clear it. It now has 25 lbs of Alkalinity Rise in the pool and I am thinking of just doing one bucket at a time until it clears up. I only have strips for testing at the moment. I am looking to use your methods instead of the pool store, but since I have the chlorine, I want to use it up some how. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Ramas
    turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Look at the container and see what the concentration is. Bleach is/was 6%, seems to be going up to 8or 9 recently in some parts of the country. Pool chlorine is 10% or 12.5% usually. It's all the same stuff, just different concentrations.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

20 gallons of anything in your pool would be too much.

Is it Accu-chlor algaecide? Can you post more of the label information?

You really need to get a good test kit, such as the TF-100.

http://tftestkits.net/TFTestkits-TF-100-p4.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies...It's Accu-Clor Sodium Hypochlorite Solution. Active ingredients are Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5% and Inert ingredients 87.5%. I poured one 5 gallon container into the water this evening. I'll test with a strip tomorrow. The chlorine showed very low on a test today.

5. Back To Top    #5

5 gallons of 12.5 % sodium hypochlorite will get you to about 45 ppm chlorine, which won't be testable without FAS-DPD.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    5 gallons of 12.5 % sodium hypochlorite will get you to about 45 ppm chlorine, which won't be testable without FAS-DPD.
    And is also likely well above shock level which could start damaging the pool and equipment ... what is your CYA?

I agree a recommended test kit would be a wise investment ... adding all 20 gallons would be a horrible idea.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been offline for awhile due to a family emergency. I have been backwashing nightly then adding a 5lb container of the chlorine. The last was added Thursday night totalling 20lbs now added to my pool. It has gone from an awful green to a light pool and a bit cloudy, where as I can only see 4" of the side of the pool liner. I have not brought a sample to the pool store yet to get a number reading, but the test strip today showed the pH was ok. free chlorine was high, total alkalinity was ok stabilizer was low. Not sure what step to take next.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok here's my pool water test from today...Free Chlorine - OVR 20.71 ppm/Total Chlorine - same as Free/Combined Chlorine - 0 ppm/pH - 7.7/Hardness - 90 pm/Alkalinity - 154 ppm/Cyanic Acid - 86 ppm/Copper - 0 ppm/Iron 0.1 ppm/Saturation Index - -0.24....The pool guy said he suggests we add a container of Floc to get the cloudiness to settle and vacuum on waste. Add Floc while filter is running and let run for 3 hrs. Then leave pool off for at least 12 hrs and then vacuum on waste. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly helpful and appreciated.

9. Back To Top    #9

Your CYA is high so your FC should always be between 7-10ppm. Shock is 35ppm. You might find you spend a lot on chlorine keeping it at those levels, a partial drain and refill to bring it to 50 cya may help
    Softub T300 resort 1135l hot tub with ozonator using dichlor then bleach method.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I would advise to stop going to the pool store and read this site's pool school a few times. Wonder why the wanted you to raise all., it seems pretty high. Your cYA is pretty high also.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

11. Back To Top    #11

What kind of chlorine were you adding 5 lbs at a time? That could likely be why your CYA got too high.

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    What kind of chlorine were you adding 5 lbs at a time? That could likely be why your CYA got too high.

"It's Accu-Clor Sodium Hypochlorite Solution. Active ingredients are Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5% and Inert ingredients 87.5%."

Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jay87
    Your CYA is high so your FC should always be between 7-10ppm. Shock is 35ppm. You might find you spend a lot on chlorine keeping it at those levels, a partial drain and refill to bring it to 50 cya may help
    I assume CYA is Cyanuric Acid? Mine is at 86 ppm. They say the recommended range is 50-160 ppm on the print out from the water test today. Is this wrong? My pool is pretty full from rain today too. I will have to drain some out anyway. FYI...we have a well we use for water and we drained the pool before I opened it this year.

Does anyone think I should use the Floc the pool store recommended? Or not use it?

14. Back To Top    #14

Oh well if you were using liquid chlorine that is good ... never heard it referred to as pounds.

You have to decide if you are going to listen to the pool store or the advice here ... trying both is not going to work ... and honestly the pool store suicide well certainly cost more and may not work.

Read Pool School a few times and get your own good test kit.

Floc is not going to help if all the algae is not dead ... and sometimes it does not help at all anyway.

Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

That was my own error....I meant gallons