Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concentrated Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Concentrated Bleach

Has anyone noticed that Chlorox is now available at a higher concentration of 8.25% Since I went to BBB, I have been buying bleach at Sam's Club and just noticed it a couple of weeks ago. It looks like it's kind of a wash as you end up using about as much since it now comes in smaller containers, assuming due to the higher concentration. Not a bad deal at Sam's with a package of 3 jugs appx .95 gallons each jug for 8.80. Just thought that was interesting since it has been 6% for as long as I can remember.
    Morada 24' x 52" round AGP, 13500 gals
    Waterway 1hp Horzintal Pump & Motor, Waterway Clearwater II 150 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Polaris 65, K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Concentrated Bleach

I've noticed this too and have also noticed they seem to be getting rid of the 6% 182oz jugs. I found the same situation at my local Dollar General with their branded bleach. Haven't priced it out yet to see if we're saving any money.

-Garry
    Above-Ground Pool 24' x 52" (13,500 gal)
    Installed May 2011
    Hayward 1HP Power-Flo Pump. Hayward 150lb Sand Filter, Main drain
    Plumbed with Flexible PVC & Fittings June 2013, Modified Slotted Return Jet for Increased Circulation (2014)

4. Back To Top    #4

Goochland, Virginia (outside of Richmond)

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    The 182 oz jug at the same price would be a better deal.

Here's one way to do the math:

182 oz * 6% = 182 * 0.06 = 10.92 units of bleach
    121 oz * 8.25% = 121 * 0.825 = 9.98 units of bleach
    % = partial / total , so 9.98 / 10.92 = 0.91 = 91%

I rounded off some of the numbers, but they don't change the analysis. For pools you aren't getting as good of a deal as before if prices remain constant.

From the post Richard320 linked.
    16,800 16'x32' IG Vinyl Pool, Buddy Seat, 7' Deep End
    Hayward Sand Filter(1.5 cups of DE), Pentair Pump, SWG Autopilot Digital
    Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed stir, Borate and Salt Water Strips
    Polaris 9300 cleaner
    Pool Filled First Time June 14th, 2012
    Previous Pool AG Intex 16' Oval, SWG (5 Years)

5. Back To Top    #5

We unfortunately bought some of the "new" concentrated chlorox. We use it to shock our endless swim spa. Unfortunately we started having foaming (about the time we started using the new formula). We just noticed this evening that in addition to the chlorine - it also contains sodium hydroxide. Is that what could be causing the foaming? Any suggestions on what we should do to remedy this? In total, we've used a full bottle. Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

The sodium hydroxide is normal and is not the cause of foaming. Are you sure you got regular Clorox, even if more concentrated? It sounds like maybe you got the splashless or outdoor varieties. The following are the new concentrated Clorox bleaches:

OK to use:
    Clorox® Concentrated Regular Bleach
    Clorox® Concentrated Germicidal Bleach

DO NOT USE:
    Clorox® Gentlebleach (not yet concentrated)
    Clorox® Concentrated Scented Bleach
    Clorox® UltimateCare® Bleach (not yet concentrated)
    Clorox® Concentrated Splash-less Bleach
    Clorox® Concentrated Outdoor Bleach
    Clorox® Concentrated High Efficiency Bleach
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

That's it - didn't even notice the "splash-less" on the label until you outlined it. Will this eventually work it's way out? I hope we don't have to replace the water as we're on a watering ban and the pool and water are just one month old.

Thank you so much for the post and outlining which labels of Chlorox are ok to use!

8. Back To Top    #8

It will eventually dissipate, break down, or get caught in the filter. You shouldn't need to change the water. You can speed things up by scooping out suds if there's really a lot of them. You can still use the pool in spite of the foam. Just be patient and think of your pool as a washing machine, at least for now.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I'm so glad I found this forum. What a wealth of information!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bfriesth
    didn't even notice the "splash-less" on the label until you outlined it.
    That sounds like a challenge. ........CANNONBALL.......
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have the smaller concentrated bottles from Sams. How would that work with the pool calculator? Sorry if an obvious answer has already been posted, super headache today.
    Sallie
    25 K gal., vinyl IG, Hayward 3/4 hp pump, Hayward Pro Series S-220T 18" sand filter, full sun all day, no main drain, Pool Solutions PS232 test kit - Columbia, SC

12. Back To Top    #12

You can change the concentration of the bleach, but you'll have to go by the oz's for dosing as the jug size isn't available.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Well looks like I also got caught by overlooking the splash-less on the label and am getting some foaming as well. Skimmer baskets seem to contain it all but I hope that it does not take to long to dissipate
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

14. Back To Top    #14

With all the changing of clorox lables and types I rarely look at the front of the bottles anymore. I just look at the back or side label where it list ingredients. It should list (for the new concentrate) sodium hypocloride 8.25% then other ingredients 91.75%. I have noticed these other blends sometimes don't list the breakdown of ingredients. Even store brands should list this if you don't see this then don't buy it.
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

15. Back To Top    #15

The foaming was gone for us within a week or so. Didn't take very long.

16. Back To Top    #16

Same here in Louisiana, new concentrated, looks like the calculator may have to be updated for the new size bottle since they are not going to have the big bottles any longer
    21 X 52 Sharkline Venture, 10,400 Gallons,
    Hayward Pro Series 18 Sand Filter, BBB Method, Leslies DPD Complete Chlorine Kit, Taylor K-1515-A - Drop Test, FAS-DPD Chlorine

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by copotay
    Same here in Louisiana, new concentrated, looks like the calculator may have to be updated for the new size bottle since they are not going to have the big bottles any longer

You can change the % to 8.25 from 6, which will change the ounces you need to add.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

18. Back To Top    #18

Tks for nfo
    Hayward Pro Series 18 Sand Filter, BBB Method, Leslies DPD Complete Chlorine Kit, Taylor K-1515-A - Drop Test, FAS-DPD Chlorine

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Tks for nfo
    I'm pretty sure that means, "Thanks for the information" to us NON-texting seasoned citizens!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

Laugh out loud, (lol), it sure does, come to think of it i only know like three texting abbreviations, lol, tks, and nfo, but I am getting better, my teenager is teaching me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast