Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water level float

1. Back To Top    #1

water level float

I have a small reservoir on one side of the pool that contains a float and the water input that fills the pool. When the level gets to low -> the float sinks and opens the valve -> water flows and fills the pool. When the level rises the float rises and closes the valve. The problem is…. The float is getting filled with water and sticking. I've come home a handful of times now seen water pooring into the street. come to find the float is submerged and I have to pull it up. I've tried using plumbers tape to try and seal it, and was thinking of pulling it back off and using silicon to seal it. Or I guess I could go back to LPS and get another one. Has anybody else had this problem?
    Pool: Salt; 35, 000 - 40, 000 gallon; Pebble-tec; Spa overflows into the pool; 3 hayward pumps and one Pentair IntelliFlo VS; slide and waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water level float

You should be able to just get a new float at any large hardware store. Some autofills just use toilet valves. Should be cheap to find the float.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just went through this.
    Go to Lowes or Home Depot. If they have parts for evaporative coolers, they use the exact same floats and for 1/3 the price..
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

4. Back To Top    #4

Does anybody have any other thoughts on replacement float valves? I just replaced it again and still having issues with this thing shutting off... I shut off the water before leaving for work, and am going to pull it back out tonight -> retighten the screw -> and put back in... I just don't have a lot of faith in this setup... Just curious if there is another (better) solution.

The one installed (from Leslies) is similar to the below link.

http://www.amazon.com/Pool-Float-Val...2RW0ZRPMBR1XDV

I wasn't able to find any evaporative coolers at the hardware stores..
    Pool: Salt; 35, 000 - 40, 000 gallon; Pebble-tec; Spa overflows into the pool; 3 hayward pumps and one Pentair IntelliFlo VS; slide and waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

I went with a mostly plastic one and it has held up pretty well. I can't find it anymore but it is similar to this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Po...item1c1c62b333
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Those are the same styles I have had in my 2 pools. I think the first one was brass, but current pool is plastic. No issues.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!