Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I know this is probably more paranoia and not necessary. However being a new pool and new surface I just didn't want to throw the salt in and move it around on the surface.

Anyway, bought two colanders from the dollar store, had a few stainless steel hardware around the garage and some shoe laces from an almost new shoe that dry rotted in the closet.

One side is a swivel to open and put the salt in and the other side is to secure it. I had an extra harbor freight stainless steel wire clamp.

Less than 10-min to assemble and works like something bought that is fit for purpose.

BTW - it stays very upright when it has salt in it, for the photos to demo I didn't have salt in it that's why it appears that way.

One other thing - I take no credit for the colanders. That was my wife's idea. I was thinking of nets, wire mesh, bucket with holes and a whole bunch of stuff that would just need more engineering than to adhere to KISS principles.

IMG_20231119_081017.jpgIMG_20231119_081028.jpgIMG_20231119_081046.jpgIMG_20231119_081052.jpgIMG_20231119_081139.jpgIMG_20231119_081311.jpgIMG_20231119_081352.jpg

I needed 960 lbs at startup and need about 240 lbs in the spring. :laughblue: Heck. A 40 lb bag might not do for a top off and thank goodness salt is so cheap.

But.

You saw a problem and MacGuyvered a solution, so :salut:

Reactions: tradewinds
Yeah, I was previously trying to melt salt in a bucket and it would reach saturation point and the process was so slow. With this it melts quickly, actually too quickly as I fill up, go do something else and come back relatively a short while and it is melted completely.

I'm using 50-lb bags and can probably get one bag done on three refills. 1-bag is upping at 250 ppm.

An improvement to the design is just to glue or rivet the colanders together and cut the flat bottom out of one of the colander. This would make it hold probably 35-40% more salt.

Reactions: HermanTX
With this it melts quickly, actually too quickly as I fill up, go do something else and come back relatively a short while and it is melted completely.
Don't tell anyone else, but between you and me, it's the same when you dump it on the floor. I use the big crystals because the water softener salt is usually cheaper and each time I return 'in a little while', 90% of what I started with is gone. I brush that little bit and when I come back it's reduced to 15 individual pieces. Those are gone at the next check and only 25 mins transpired.

If I was doing little doses of pool salt, like what fits in your collander, it probably wouldn't even hit the floor. One sweep of the brush would be added insurance, for your sake, not because it's needed.

Don't tell anyone else, but between you and me, it's the same when you dump it on the floor. I use the big crystals because the water softener salt is usually cheaper and each time I return 'in a little while', 90% of what I started with is gone. I brush that little bit and when I come back it's reduced to 15 individual pieces. Those are gone at the next check and only 25 mins transpired.

If I was doing little doses of pool salt, like what fits in your collander, it probably wouldn't even hit the floor. One sweep of the brush would be added insurance, for your sake, not because it's needed.
I'm sure I will eventually get there. Kinda still at the phase of having a new car (a 120k one at that) and parking it at the far end of the parking lot. After a while it may be the walk isn't worth it, just not there yet ;-)

Reactions: Newdude
Also worth noting :

You had time to do all this, and dream it up in the first place, because you aren't lugging jugs.

Those of us on team SWG sit around pondering what we could be useful for, because we're really not needed otherwise.

This 'problem' / convenience simply cannot be overstated. Jug luggers never understand until 3 to 5 days after they switch. Then they kick themselves for waiting. HARD.

Also worth noting :

You had time to do all this, and dream it up in the first place, because you aren't lugging jugs.

Those of us on team SWG sit around pondering what we could be useful for, because we're really not needed otherwise.

This 'problem' / convenience simply cannot be overstated. Jug luggers never understand until 3 to 5 days after they switch. Then they kick themselves for waiting. HARD.
Agreed. I would like to figure out some type of "injector" for the Muriatic acid. Always get those fumes inhaled as much as I try to figure out wind direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.