Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Note to new owners....don't wait a year before addressing your equipment pad.

I spent several hours this week digging out grass and installing river rock around my pad to keep the grass from growing over it....heat index in my area was over 100 during the process. However, I'm happy with the results!

Mid construction:
f8ae7be5103fa106a77ed0bd4c3da806.jpg

Finished project:
9962fd7aca5e296fbedd24c4e605aa45.jpg

Reactions: ShadyPool
There's actually a specific "Pentair Tan" colored spray paint you can buy to make those white pipes the same color as the rest of the equipment.

Sadly, my equipment pad area really needs 100' of 5' high c-block retaining wall built around it....definitely not a weekend job for me....

There's actually a specific "Pentair Tan" colored spray paint you can buy to make those white pipes the same color as the rest of the equipment.

Sadly, my equipment pad area really needs 100' of 5' high c-block retaining wall built around it....definitely not a weekend job for me....

One of these days maybe [emoji41]

That must be one heck of an equipment pad!!

One of these days maybe [emoji41]

That must be one heck of an equipment pad!!

I wish it were that cool....my equipment pad itself is nothing special. It's set behind our casita which is up on high ground. The ground slopes down about 6-8 ft and was covered with just bare rip-rap stones. Rain is essentially slowly eroding the soil away and I'm down at least 1" of ground in 4 years. The previous owner should have had the builder do a retaining wall but they built the casita on the cheap. Anyway, if I hope to keep the erosion down and my equipment pad from sliding down the hill, I will eventually need to install a proper retaining wall which will be 100 linear feet and about 6' high. At current labor and material costs and if done with halfway decent looking cement block to match the rest of the property, that's a $10k project at minimum...not something I have the scratch for at the moment....

I wish it were that cool....my equipment pad itself is nothing special. It's set behind our casita which is up on high ground. The ground slopes down about 6-8 ft and was covered with just bare rip-rap stones. Rain is essentially slowly eroding the soil away and I'm down at least 1" of ground in 4 years. The previous owner should have had the builder do a retaining wall but they built the casita on the cheap. Anyway, if I hope to keep the erosion down and my equipment pad from sliding down the hill, I will eventually need to install a proper retaining wall which will be 100 linear feet and about 6' high. At current labor and material costs and if done with halfway decent looking cement block to match the rest of the property, that's a $10k project at minimum...not something I have the scratch for at the moment....

Ouch! That will be a project!

I like what you did. Should I redo my pad area in the near future, I will definitely do something similar. I like the look of Mexican beach pebbles and I think that would make a very nice looking border similar to what you have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good job on the Equip pad it looks awesome...I will be doing something similar once I get the new sod and sprinklers set up. I am also considering painting the white PVC pipes just not sure on that.

mwall - great looking job...I certainly know the drill in the Texas heat - at least your humidity is not 98-100% w the heat too

With all the weed-whackers biting into fences, posts, AC unit insulation condensing lines, etc, I kind of thought ahead for a change. Here's the pad and I decided to put stone on the whole N side of the house. Not sure if you did this or not, but I also applied 2 layers of the weed-netting. it works pretty well keeping 98% of the weeds out and all the water penetrates fine.

Looks like you're enjoying the pool !! :)

Attachments

• pool-skimmer3.jpg
    pool-skimmer3.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 75
mwall - great looking job...I certainly know the drill in the Texas heat - at least your humidity is not 98-100% w the heat too

With all the weed-whackers biting into fences, posts, AC unit insulation condensing lines, etc, I kind of thought ahead for a change. Here's the pad and I decided to put stone on the whole N side of the house. Not sure if you did this or not, but I also applied 2 layers of the weed-netting. it works pretty well keeping 98% of the weeds out and all the water penetrates fine.

Looks like you're enjoying the pool !! :)

I just rocked around the equipment pad but certainly understand the benefits of doing the whole side yard too! Yours looks great!

You win on the humidity too! It's humid but it's not Houston Humid here!

Pad looks great!

Not sure if you've seen this company/system but it might be cheaper than the $10K you were quoted. Filtrexx Soxx Technology, Stormwater Management, Sediment Erosion Control Solutions
I came across it when I was looking for bulk delivery of river rocks and drainage gravel.

That's interesting stuff...I may have use for it in another small scale project.

Unfortunately, a c-block wall is my only option. I live in an HOA and that part of my casita is visible to neighbors and, partially, to the common area. So the only solution my architectural review committee will allow is keeping the current rip rap OR build a block wall out of equivalent CMU to the property walls. Anything else and I'd be in violation of the CC&Rs which would result in fines, forced removal and/or a lien on my property.

But, to be fair, I would want a solution that preserves the look of the property and so I just need to be judicious about shopping around for a good bargain and potentially trying to get the project done in the off season when a local trades company might be more "hungry" for the work...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.