Can You Help Me?

Well today was a new day! My CYA has all dissolved, my muriatic has brought down my ph and I tested the chlorine level three times today and all three show chlorine level of 5! It feels wonderful to not stress over it! I swam in crystal clear water with my grandchildren today!!! Thanks to you guys for all of your help!!!

Per the pool calculator for a 10,500 gallon pool you will need to add 109 oz of 6% bleach to reach your target fc of 5 ppm, you will also need to add 98 oz of stabilizer in a sock and hang it in front of the return jet to get you to your target of 70 ppm cya.
After adding the bleach wait 30 minutes and add the 73 oz of m/a to lower the ph from 8.2 to 7.5
Wait a half hour and swim and enjoy.....Mike

Is muriatic acid something that you have to add periodically or should it hold for awhile? My ph seems to fluctuate from 7.5 to 8.2. Maybe it's the angle of the light when I hold it up to check the color of the liquid. I don't know. My Chlorine readings are still holding between 4 and 5 with my SWG running at 10 hours a day and my filter pump running 24/7. What would cause the ph to fluctuate?

Ph is always moving. Muriatic acid is needed anytime you need to move your ph down...in other words, it is "used up". Do you know what your current TA is? High TA will cause ph to rise quickly. Your swg will also require you to add regular doses of MA, since the swg does some aeration to the water.

Not sure what the TA is. I'm at work right now but will check this evening when I get home. If the TA is high what should I do? Also I read somewhere that fountains and things like that can cause your ph to rise. My intake has a control on it where I can raise it up out of the top of the water or down into the water. It has a pretty strong movement coming in. Could that be a problem?

mimidjets said:
Not sure what the TA is.
TA=Total Alkalinity

It is not a parameter that you need to worry about much, but if it is higher, then you will be putting in Muriatic Acid to lower your ph more often. Good news is everytime you lower ph, you lower TA a little so eventually both should find a sweet spot. If you have a drop based test for TA, do it tonight and post your results. If you do not have a drop based test for TA, then look at the test kit link in my signature.

mimidjets said:
Also I read somewhere that fountains and things like that can cause your ph to rise. My intake has a control on it where I can raise it up out of the top of the water or down into the water. It has a pretty strong movement coming in. Could that be a problem?
Aeration does raise ph...in fact it is one way to also indirectly lower TA since every time you lower ph with Muriatic acid (or dry acid), you lower TA a little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the return of water going back to the pool is breaking the surface and bubbling/splashing, then that can cause ph to rise and as you noted can help cool the water, though you would need a lot of action for that cooling to be appreciable.

Like linen said, don't worry too much about it. Mine starts out close to 350. Sitting around 225 now. Add muratic acid to lower your pH to 7.2 when it gets to 7.8. As you repeat the cycle, your TA will lower.

Make sure you have your TA entered into the pool calculator when figuring out how much acid to use. And make sure you let your pH get back up to at least 7.6 before you add acid again.

Wow, I thought my 210 was high! I am glad to hear that! I won't worry so much about mine now! I don't mean to sound stupid or anything, :hammer: :hammer: but I just don't understand the pool calculator. I tried putting in my information, but it makes no sense to me. I have put muriatic acid in twice so far to lower my ph. Both times I put 20 oz. according to package directions. It stayed low the first few days, but came right back up. Do I need to put more, or just put it more often?

Use poolcalculator.com to calculate how much you need to add. Don't forget to put in your TA, since that affects how much MA you need to add. Also make sure you add your pool volume.

For example poolcalculator gives me [s:3o9aqpvf]72[/s:3o9aqpvf] 49 ounces of 31.45% MA needed to lower a 10000 gallon pool from 7.8 to 7.2 ph.

mimidjets said:
Wow, I thought my 210 was high! I am glad to hear that! I won't worry so much about mine now! I don't mean to sound stupid or anything, :hammer: :hammer: but I just don't understand the pool calculator. I tried putting in my information, but it makes no sense to me. I have put muriatic acid in twice so far to lower my ph. Both times I put 20 oz. according to package directions. It stayed low the first few days, but came right back up. Do I need to put more, or just put it more often?
PH rises through swimming, splashing, SWG. It's normal for it to rise. When it does, add your acid.

I get that the pool calculator does the math for you, and I think that's great, it's just so much information in one place. When figuring out how much acid to lower my ph, do I just enter the information in the ph block or do I enter for all of the blocks? In the first block for ph, there are two little squares. Don't I put what my current reading is in the first square, and next to it put what I want it to be then hit the tab button? That's where I get lost. Sorry I am such a bother!

For pH, at the minimum, you need to enter in gallons, current TA, current pH, target pH. Yes, you put your current in the first box and what you want it to be in the next box. Because TA changes how much acid is required, that is why it HAS to be entered into the calculator first.

I entered in your gallons, your TA of 210, and did the calculation to go from 7.8 to 7.2.

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    58.3 KB · Views: 28
My Goals!

I was looking around at the Pool School, I love that!!! I printed out the Recommended Levels. I think that is great! I realize the numbers may not be exact for every pool, but it is a great starting place!!! Praise the Lord for putting you guys in my path!! Keep it up because ya'll are the best! I have already told people about you guys and your knowledge and how you have helped me have a sparkling worry free pool!!! :party: :-D :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.