Ah man, algae

Edn35

Jun 2, 2012
Joplin Missouri
Noob here. I've posted so many things thus far and have had wonderful response. THANK YOU. We just filled our pool about 6 days ago. Shocked it using dichlor for the first four nights and on the 5th night we noticed algae. Small amounts on the bottom along the seems and other areas. We have shocked it using bleach and advice per pool school but it's still there. Shock level is 12 and we are maintaining that or above and brushing. We have an intex pump and filter with our nre pentair/sand pump in transit to us now. May be here in the next 3 days or so. These were the test results before we shocked
FC 6.5
CC .5
TA 190 trying to lower by aerating
CH 230
CYA 23- hoping this will go up? Thought it should be near 30 after four days of dichlor

Have not added any algaecide. Added enought bleach to raise FC to 15
What do we do? We have not been in our pool yet!!! Please help!

Something is amiss. Algae should not grow in a pool with chlorine like you described.

You are not shocking your pool....but let's deal with that in a minute.

How much dichlor did you put in your pool each of the four nights?

Just retested CYA and it's about 18
PH is high. About 8.2

Also when we brush the algae is comes up very easily in a cloud. Is that normal consistency? It always comes back though. Usually in a different spot. Sometimes it's in lines and sometimes in blotches. Just trying to figure out if it's actually algae. It is greenish brownin color.

Well, something is still not right. You are misunderstanding a couple of things but you still should not have algae.

What was your water source when you filled? Was it clear?

I assume your 31.8 oz dose was a packet, is that correct?

Why did you switch to bleach?

These questions may seem random but I am trying to get a picture of what you have done so far and how you could possibly have algae in that pool.

We used city water right from our garden hose. It was packets of dichlor that is correct. We stopped using dichlor because in reading pool school it said to stop after the fourth night because of the delicate balance of CYA and FC. It said to use bleach as our source after that. We were afraid to use anymore dichlor. We had been told that the CYA could rise over the next few days. We brought the FC up to 15 last night and scrubbed the bottom. Really we just brushed. It comes up very easily like dust. We tested the FC this morning and it was at 12 so we raised it again to 15 and kept it there for the course of the day. This evening there were patches all over the bottom of the pool. Never on the sides or anywhere else tho. Water is very clear. Walls do not feel slimy. But the bottom is a little slick. I'm sure we are misunderstanding a lot of things. We have also been listening to our neighbor go on and on about what he uses. Pleas help us understand. What are we misunderstanding? Thank you! We have read and retread pool school a million times. We have at this point confused ourselves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This evening there were patches all over the bottom of the pool.
I think that is very likely dead algae. That's a good thing. I just can't understand how you got algae in the first place. Given that you dosed your pool to 9+ppm each evening with dichlor, that doesn't give algae a chance to form.

I also think you might be following a guideline for the seasonal, temporary pool article. Your pool is too big for that so, if that's where you got the dichlor info, don't go back there.

So, you have put in enough dichlor to raise your CYA to around 30. Assume it is there and don't test for it.

Now read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. You have basically started the process anyway so keep your FC up around 12-15 ppm constantly until your water is crystal clear. You must do all the other things in that article, too. You must vacuum at least daily, you should brush the sides and floor at least daily, and you must clean/backwash your filter each time you get a 25% psi rise.

Follow the EXACT directions in the article in Pool School and your pool will clear up. How you got algae is water under the bridge so don't worry about it. Once your pool is crystal clear, you will not get algae again if, and only IF, you keep your chlorine at an adequate level.......NEVER letting it drop below about 3ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.