Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cracks under liner

1. Back To Top    #1

cracks under liner

The hot weather this summer has caused cracks in the ground so I believe that is why my pool liner has crater like areas. At first thought it was crawdads but now not sure. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cracks under liner

Welcome to tfp, debbieadams

Do you have a inground or aboveground pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

I assume it's a AGP but tell us more about it?
    It could be the ground cracking if it's extremely dry where you are. You should be able to tell if it's cracking because of the patterns.

Since you suspected crawdads, I'd say you live in a low lying area.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

We live in Kansas City that's in eastern Kansas. There is a drainage ditch on side of property,in I neighbors yard, there are cattails, crawdads, frogs etc. The pool has been in for 3 summers now. This year our temps have been in the 100s without rain, grass is brittle and effecting trees now. Last year I noticed half dollar size hole in yard, 2 are right beside pool. We have cracks all over our acre of property, some big enough to put hand down into. The pool floor is getting real bad, which makes it hard to vac. At times you can feel the sand collapse.

5. Back To Top    #5

Above ground round 24x52

6. Back To Top    #6

It sounds like ground cracking. Not a lot you can do about that except drain and repair. You can put it off until it gets really bad and it might be wise to do that since your liner is that old.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

My husband talked about pouring concrete under it in the spring, is there any pros and cons to that?

8. Back To Top    #8

The pros are that you have a nice smooth bottom and you aren't relying on the earth to remain smooth.
    The cons are it's hard, but if you use foam under the liner it feels good to the feet. Oh, and the expense.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I have what I believe are mole trails under my AGP. They showed up 4-5 years ago. Other than dirt settling in the ditches, we have had no issues. My robot takes care of the dirt. I haven't noticed any new ditches with the cracks this year - we are in NW Missouri, so not far from you.
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

10. Back To Top    #10

I imagine that the cracks will get worse in August, unless we get some real rain. I wouldn't do anything now as I would be afraid that the cracks would reappear later on this summer.

I live in Mid-Missouri (home of the State Fair so we are bound to get rain then in the form of a storm or two )
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Look into putting pool krete instead of concrete. Cheaper possibly and better for the liner
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

12. Back To Top    #12

Our pool is the same age as yours and we had the same issue starting last summer already... this summer being dry as well only made the problem worse.

We first noticed small indentations and cracks last summer when we started getting them in the yard. This year... same thing but more of it. Because of the pattern on the liner, it isn't really noticeable unless you are swimming at night with a light on under water.

At this point we are just choosing to leave it and see what happens. Don't want to spend the $$ on a new liner, water, and chemicals for a re-start. If we were to do it again, I think we would just add a foam bottom to the floor to make sure it didn't happen again. I don't think I would want the concert due to the added expense, the hardness of it, and the possibility that we may remove the pool after our son graduates in another 11 years.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits