Tampa Bay
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I'm upgrading an 'old reliable' Sta-Rite DuraGlas pump to variable speed and would like input on which of these two motors is a better 'bang for the buck', and why. The pump is on a 220V circuit so I don't need the dual-voltage option. I'm not planning any automation, my priorities are reliability / long life. energy use and price. There isn't much information on the Century site, and some of what is there is wrong (e.g., the 50 Hz only specification in the heading for the EVQ165....

EVQ165, list price $942.00
https://www.regalrexnord.com/produc...hp-1-ph-50-hz-230-115-v-48y-frame-tefc-evq165

ECM16SQU, list price $1088.00
https://www.regalrexnord.com/produc...hz-208-230-v-3600-rpm-48y-frame-tefc-ecm16squ

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm upgrading an 'old reliable' Sta-Rite DuraGlas pump to variable speed and would like input on which of these two motors is a better 'bang for the buck', and why. The pump is on a 220V circuit so I don't need the dual-voltage option. I'm not planning any automation, my priorities are reliability / long life. energy use and price. There isn't much information on the Century site, and some of what is there is wrong (e.g., the 50 Hz only specification in the heading for the EVQ165....

EVQ165, list price $942.00
https://www.regalrexnord.com/produc...hp-1-ph-50-hz-230-115-v-48y-frame-tefc-evq165

ECM16SQU, list price $1088.00
https://www.regalrexnord.com/produc...hz-208-230-v-3600-rpm-48y-frame-tefc-ecm16squ

Any advice would be appreciated.
Actually, after Century took off the control panel and made programming more difficult with the EVQ, I have been installing the Nidec NPTQ 165 on 1hp pumps. Good motor, and is relatively easy to program. Waterway uses them on their VSPs. Has its own built-in timer and time clock, so one being used now would no longer be needed. The Century motors both need a separate time clock. If you are going with the Century, get the ECM16SQU for more control (if you can find one). I have not had even one go bad in the 5 or so years installing them (after I found out you could interrupt power to them with a clock. Can't get them through wholesalers anymore.
If you go with the Century ECM (or EVQ), view this video to see how to use an Intermatic (or any 240V) time clock. Its directly from Century:

Actually, after Century took off the control panel and made programming more difficult with the EVQ, I have been installing the Nidec NPTQ 165 on 1hp pumps. Good motor, and is relatively easy to program. Waterway uses them on their VSPs. Has its own built-in timer and time clock, so one being used now would no longer be needed. The Century motors both need a separate time clock. If you are going with the Century, get the ECM16SQU for more control (if you can find one). I have not had even one go bad in the 5 or so years installing them (after I found out you could interrupt power to them with a clock. Can't get them through wholesalers anymore.
If you go with the Century ECM (or EVQ), view this video to see how to use an Intermatic (or any 240V) time clock. Its directly from Century:
Thanks. I agree - the EVQ programming was too limited for my taste. Also, I liked the idea of the RS-485 control option on the ECM16SQU, so I ordered one of those. I have a home automation system (custom built using Home Assistant) that acts as a time clock and I have plans to add a Modbus interface so that I can remotely control the ECM motor speeds / run time. This motor appears to be widely available for $520 - $560 from online retailers which seems like a bargain to me.

Going forward, I hope Sta-Rite sees a market opportunity and offers the Max-E-Glas pumps with this motor. They could be very cost competitive.

Thanks. I agree - the EVQ programming was too limited for my taste. Also, I liked the idea of the RS-485 control option on the ECM16SQU, so I ordered one of those. I have a home automation system (custom built using Home Assistant) that acts as a time clock and I have plans to add a Modbus interface so that I can remotely control the ECM motor speeds / run time. This motor appears to be widely available for $520 - $560 from online retailers which seems like a bargain to me.

Going forward, I hope Sta-Rite sees a market opportunity and offers the Max-E-Glas pumps with this motor. They could be very cost competitive.
Outstanding price! Sta-Rite = Pentair = proprietary motor/control combo. Its the IntelliPro VS.

Outstanding price! Sta-Rite = Pentair = proprietary motor/control combo. Its the IntelliPro VS.
Yes, but.... The IntelliPro has more features than I need or want. Reliability and ease of maintenance is key for me - which is why I still have a couple of year 2000 DuraGlas pumps that I cycle through. Pentair / Sta-Rite could probably sell the Max-E-Pro with the Century motor for $300-400 less than the IntelliPro VSF. With the RS-485 Modbus standard (non-proprietary) interface I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Hello @1poolman1 ,
I’m going through the same, selecting between ECM16SQU and EVQ165 to replace a single speed motor. The price difference is around $80. I know that ECM has more programming capabilities, but I have a Pentair Easy Toch, can I use the Easy Toch to program EVQ as I desire? That said, this is a new home/pool for us. Not that familiar with the easy toch and when I go through the settings, then Inteleflo, pump 1, it doesn’t seem to recognize the pump!

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello @1poolman1 ,
I’m going through the same, selecting between ECM16SQU and EVQ165. The price difference is around $80. I know that ECM has more programming capabilities, but I have a Pentair Easy Toch, can I use the Easy Toch to program EVQ as I desire?

Thanks
So far there is no EVO-to-anyone's automation adapter, unless it came out yesterday when I wasn't looking. EVQ's programs are fixed, you just get to choose which one runs when power is applied. The ECM works similarly except you get to pick run-times and speeds.

Either way, you can continue to use the relay to power the motor on and off.

Over the course of its life you will find that $80.00 is very little to exchange for the convenience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.