Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar heat drilling valves??

1. Back To Top    #1
    SW Louisiana

Solar heat drilling valves??

In some message threads I have read reference to needing special types of valves for use with solar panels or drilling holes in valves. Can someone explain what this is about?

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Solar heat drilling valves??

If it is desired to have the panels drain when the pump and solar valve turns off, the water needs a path back down the solar source lines which usually feed the bottom of the panels. One method is to drill a small hole in the valve diverter.

Pentair sells a solar valve that has a small check valve built into the diverter. This allows the water to flow back down when the valve is closed, but does not let water get pushed back up if there is no call for solar when the pump is on.

The hole drill method would allow a little water flow up toward the solar even if the solar valve was closed.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!