Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cartridge filter and pump

1. Back To Top    #1

cartridge filter and pump

I have a 125 square foot cartridge filter with a 2 hp pump. My pool store seems to think the 2hp is too much and is pushing water too fast across the filter for it to catch the particles. Thoughts?
    24' round w/54 walls (13,600 gal)
    cartridge
    above ground
    vinyl
    7/15/11

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cartridge filter and pump

Which pump do you have? I doubt it is too much for that filter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

it is an AO Smith SP1520Z1ESC. Filter is rated for 85 gallons per minute.
    cartridge
    above ground
    vinyl
    7/15/11

4. Back To Top    #4

That is the motor model, do you see anything indication pump manufacturer and it's model number?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

the only other thing i see is it is made by hayward pump, part #7-193554-01
    cartridge
    above ground
    vinyl
    7/15/11

6. Back To Top    #6

any thoughts on pump versus filter. I can't find GPM for the pump i have. water won't clear up!!
    cartridge
    above ground
    vinyl
    7/15/11

7. Back To Top    #7

That pump is too big for that filter but it wouldn't cause the issues you're seeing.

Can you post a set of test results?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't have a good pool tester yet (ordered yesterday). Pool was green at the beginning of hte week. I blasted it with 10 gals of liquid chlorine and have been blasting it since with bleech as best i can to maintain shock level. LAst pool store reading was

TDS 2200
    CYA 30
    Tot chlori 8
    Free chlori 8
    ph 7.5
    tot alkalinity 96
    tot hardness 321
    cartridge
    above ground
    vinyl
    7/15/11

9. Back To Top    #9

here is picture of water.[attachment=0:38n4yg5k]pool 7.22.12.jpg[/attachment:38n4yg5k]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cartridge
    above ground
    vinyl
    7/15/11

10. Back To Top    #10

With a CYA of 30, you'll need to KEEP your FC at 12 until you complete the shock PROCESS, which you do by passing all of these tests:

1. CC of .5 or less (your new test kit will help with this)
    2. Less than 1 ppm lost FC overnight (see Overnight Chlorine Loss Test in Pool School)
    3. Your water is clear

Until those three things happen, you need to test as frequently as possible (hourly in the beginning) and re-dose with liquid chlorine (bleach) to get back to shock level of 12 FC as soon as it dips below that number. The more you test and re-dose in the beginning, the more efficient (quicker and cheaper) you'll complete the shock process and start enjoying a trouble free pool. One note: before fully embarking on the shock process, test everything when you get your new test kit just in case any of those numbers are off by a lot. You'll want to address pH first (if it is really is 7.5 I think that is okay, but if it is too high or too low, fix it first). Also, you'll want to ensure your CYA is really 30 because when it comes to the shock process, knowing what your FC level should be is dependent on that CYA number.

Good luck and post back as needed.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska