Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fri started to notice some green

1. Back To Top    #1

Fri started to notice some green

I also am on my first year of Salt. Not having a good year. upgraded my filter system to 2500 from 1500. Like it alot better. Anyway, Fri started to notice some green. got in and swept it, but Sat it was alot worse. Took water to pool store and tested it. Results- FC 0, TC-0, CC-0, ph-7.9, Hardness-160, Alk-129, CYan-5, copper-0, Iron-0. Told me to add muriatic acid, 1qt1pt. I did this but it is much worse this morn. I have read alot of post and notice you are saying use liquid bleach. How much should I use? It also says my sanitizer is low and to add 1large tablet of GLB. I do not understand what I am supposed to get. I read about the stocking hanging in the pool. Can I get this somewhere besides a pool store as they are all closed? Or should I get in and sweep really good today, then add the bleach? Will that be a problem with my muriatic acid? It was added over 12 hrs ago. My 5yr old grandaughter is coming to visit in a week and all she has been talking about is swimming in my pool. Help please. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fri started to notice some green

Welcome to the forum

You need to read POOL SCHOOL upper right of the screen.

Start with: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

You can purchase stabilizer at Wal-mart.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to get some chlorine and CYA in your pool. The CYA is available at Walmart (Purple Top) and likely called stabilizer. Put it in a sock and hang it in front of the water return. The Muriatic Acid has long since mixed in, so do not worry about that. Go to Poolcalculator.com and put in the particulars of your pool. It will tell you how much to add. Pool school (Link at top of every page) will tell you how to go about the shock process, which you certainly need to do.

You say you are running salt, so i assume you have a SWCG, and need to figure out why that is not producing chlorine, or not enough anyway.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It would be helpful to get a better grasp of the basics before shocking your pool. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't trust pool store number you need to have your own test kit. Tf100 from tftestkits.com is the best deal

With out a fas/dpd test wong be able to get rid of the green and keep it away
    Good test kit
    Pool school
    Pool calculator
    All the tools needed to clear a pool
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Good advice listen to the pool wizards here and you will have sparkly blue water.
    The tf100 test kit is a must to properly balance and maintain your soon to be sparkly blue pool
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

7. Back To Top    #7

thank you all. I have read pool school several times now and even was going to copy pages to have outside, but of course ran out of black ink. Not my day. Anyway I keep trying to use the pool calculator to figure out how much bleach and I guess I am just stupid cause it only tells me 0. It does tell me stabilizer tho., So I need to go buy bleach and shock it first, correct? It is an 18 x 48 vinyl with round top. says 5455 gal. Do I need to get in and sweep it first again? I was told using salt water I would not have to do all this. When I got the first swg it would not work correctly, so I had to wait 1 wk on a new one, then temps were over 100, and I then upgraded to bigger pump. I will be using this site constantly. Thank you but if someone knows how much bleach I need I would appreciate the help.

8. Back To Top    #8

147 oz of 6% bleach will take you to 13 FC. That's a gallon and 2 cups. Remember, that's just the first dose. You'll need to add more, depending on the level, in as little as an hour. As soon as you dump that in, you can measure out 22 ox of cranular stabilizer in a sock, tie it up, and hang it in front of the return jet.

You're really going to have a battle without your own proper test kit. It would be like trying to follow a recipe without owning a measuring cup. Or painting with a blindfold on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I just went to wm and bought 4 gal of bleach. I also bought the better than average test kit there. It will have to work for now. I also bought stabilizer. I guess what is confusing me is can I use the same things like stabilizer for chorine pool and saltwater pool. Guess I thought I would have to buy different. I am going out to do it now. Thanks for your help. I understand I need to wait about 4 hrs, retest water and then do it again. Correct?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Pegarcoop51
    I just went to wm and bought 4 gal of bleach. I also bought the better than average test kit there. It will have to work for now. I also bought stabilizer. I guess what is confusing me is can I use the same things like stabilizer for chorine pool and saltwater pool. Guess I thought I would have to buy different. I am going out to do it now. Thanks for your help. I understand I need to wait about 4 hrs, retest water and then do it again. Correct?
    There ain't no difference between a chlorine pool and a saltwater pool - they use the same chemical to sanitize. One has it made at a factory somewhere where it gets bottled up. One does it next to your pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

ok, I have been reading and copying for 3hrs now plus working on my pool. One thing I dont understand is it says bring your pool up to shock level. How do I know what my shock level is? Does that just mean above the recommended numbers? Getting ready to test my pool again. Also a dumb question. Of course I cannot get in the water with all this bleach so I guess it is ok to brush with a long handled brush from the outside, right?

12. Back To Top    #12

ok, just tested my water. My ph is 6.8, clorine only goes to 5 but is over that. alkalinity tested 95. Do I shock again tonight?

13. Back To Top    #13

I should add my swg is off while I am doing all this. Is that correct?

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes. Always have the swg off when adding any chemicals, also when adding salt.
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL
    10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.

15. Back To Top    #15

ok I looked up my Cya level when it was tested and looked on chart. My number is not even on the chart. It was a 5. I have shocked 2xs. Left for work, did not shock again. How do I know if I have shocked enough. My readings are above from the last time. Please help.

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi Pegarcoop51 and welcome to TFP!

Here's the scoop in a nutshell,
    First having a proper testing kit is mandatory in my opinion. (TF-100 is the most preferred and if you have a green ugly pool get the XL option)
    This would be the Snap-On tool of this trade to fix, maintain and prevent any pool water problem you will have and not have.
    There are many posts here for a lot of struggling people that try to get away with a cheaper test kit that does not have the FAS-DPD chlorine test in the kit. This type of kit uses powder and drops to determine chlorine levels in ppm. This type of tester can test up to 50 ppm, that's right I said 50 ppm!
    Your standard drop based testing kits only go up to 5 ppm.

Read up here about test kits:
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Order online here:
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
    Or here:
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... TF-100.htm

Once you have your kit, follow these instructions here:
    what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html

We all have been in your shoes when we first got here!
    I know it can be overwhelming at first, but with the help here and learning it will be very elementary soon.

Read, read and read here and get a free college education!
    Pool School here:
    pool-school/
    Read up on other postings too, if you find a mod you like, go and read all of their posts! Big lessons to big had doing it that way!

My pool is perfect now all the time and screams at us every minute of the day to come swimming!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by supertune
    We all have been in your shoes when we first got here!
    I know it can be overwhelming at first, but with the help here and learning it will be very elementary soon.
    As a pool noobie, I can attest to this (just to reinforce the point). I am sooooo glad I was told to read this site and not get into bad habits early on, especially using the dichlor and trichlor and buying supplies at a pool store (unless you have no other option). I would have NEVER thought to just use household products to maintain our pool unless I read this site. The experts here have ironed out all the wrinkles and made pool maintenance as easy as possible, so read up and trust the process they outline.

My wife's is doing physical therapy right now and her therapist said "your pool is going to be green with all the rain we're having" and my wife told him "nope, it's crystal clear". Thought that was funny.
    18,000 gallon in ground, plaster - completed 6/29/12
    Jandy 340 sq ft cartridge filter
    Jandy variable-speed 2 HP pump
    Jandy LXi 400 heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA-PS4

18. Back To Top    #18

thank you for taking the time to answer. I am giving up and ordering the test kit. I bought one at WM but it is just not good enough. Wasted my money. I dont mean to be dense, but I have vertigo and sometimes what I read just goes up against a brick wall. After reading again, please tell me if I am correct. So far I have used approx 2 1/2 gal bleach. I have hung the stabilizer over the pool return in a sock. I am testing but since it does not go over 5 ppm that does not get me very far. So from reading I take it I should shock again and then wait til I get my kit. I guess I am afraid I will over shock. Is that possible?

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Pegarcoop51
    thank you for taking the time to answer. I am giving up and ordering the test kit. I bought one at WM but it is just not good enough. Wasted my money. I dont mean to be dense, but I have vertigo and sometimes what I read just goes up against a brick wall. After reading again, please tell me if I am correct. So far I have used approx 2 1/2 gal bleach. I have hung the stabilizer over the pool return in a sock. I am testing but since it does not go over 5 ppm that does not get me very far. So from reading I take it I should shock again and then wait til I get my kit. I guess I am afraid I will over shock. Is that possible?
    Yes, it's possible. It will bleach out your liner.

But you do need to maintain high FC or the bleach you've poured in already was for nothing. And you have a deadline to meet with the granddaughter coming. You'll probably be safe putting a quart in every 4 hours. Don't forget to brush the green stuff - it grows a protective film and you want the chlorine to penetrate that.

20. Back To Top    #20

ok, but I can only brush from the outside, right? Dont want to disappear in there. LOL Also, I have not put in any bleach since last night, so I need to start again with a qt every 4 hrs. Right?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast