Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph keeps rising

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph keeps rising

What could cause my Ph to keep climbing? I can't get it to stay down at 7.5 for more than a week. It's getting very frustrating.

I have a SWG plaster pool, about 26000 gallons, finished in March of this year.
    20' x 40' / 33,000 gallon / IG / Vinyl
    200lb sand filter / 1hp pump
    4hrs full sun with about 45 min part sun before and after

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph keeps rising

Probably the new plaster. I'm not an expert on plaster pools, but if I remember from reading about the issue, new plaster will cause a significant pH rise for almost a year. Lots of MA at the beginning is just part of the process.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

New plaster, high TA fill water, SWG, any water features like spa overflows or slides.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by notenuftoys
    What could cause my Ph to keep climbing? I can't get it to stay down at 7.5 for more than a week. It's getting very frustrating.

I have a SWG plaster pool, about 26000 gallons, finished in March of this year.
    Wow, I thought Ph needs to be adjusted on a daily basis, I would have thought with SWG a week is a great result.
    34000 Gallon Salt Water Pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Del60 Filter, Polaris 380 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    New plaster, high TA fill water, SWG, any water features like spa overflows or slides.
    Richard, you know you look just like my neighbour, the first time I looked at your picture I said what the heck is Brian doing here, he doesnt have a pool.....
    34000 Gallon Salt Water Pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Del60 Filter, Polaris 380 Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

You must test once a week and adjust...
    18,000 free form gunite with an inground spa, kreepy krawly vacuum, jandy CL 340 cartridge filter, 2 easy speed pump motor, granite rock waterfall, and starite heater

7. Back To Top    #7

During the first month or so after fresh plaster is applied, you need to test and adjust the PH at least daily, and sometimes more often. Other than that, daily is recommended, but weekly is usually fine.

I've gone an entire pool season without having to adjust the PH once, though usually I do end up needing to adjust the PH once or twice a year. (I have a SWG.)
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Our new pool, which was filled with water at the end of January, suffers from the same problem mentioned here, in that the pH keeps rising in it. We have to add about 36oz of muriatic acid roughly every other day to keep it anywhere near 7.4.

I'm told the acid demand will decrease over the first year...and can already see it just beginning to go down a bit.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, I've had my pool since August 2010 and I continue to add approximately 1 gallon of muriatic acid about every 10 days to keep my pH in check. I do have an SWG and a waterfall that drops about 1 foot and 1 foot wide. Just a part of doing business. I don't think my plaster is still curing. I don't add anything else regularly, so the cost is minimal.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit