Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fifth of July Haze

1. Back To Top    #1

Fifth of July Haze

Just a quick question and any help or guidance would be appreciated.
    Pool has been perfectly clear for over a month.
    I checked FC yesterday before party it was 8ppm
    Yesterday I had a heavy bather load 25-35 people in the pool. Went to add CL to pool after the party and noticed a haze to the water.
    Added CL up to 16.5ppm
    Readings this morning around 8:30 were
    FC 16ppm
    CC 0 ppm
    PH 7.5
    CYA 45
    Borates 30

What could cause the haze if FC has been around 6-8ppm per day.
    Should I add clarifier or just let the filter work today. I did add a cup of DE to the filter this morning.
    Its not bad, but its not perfect!
    Johnny-M
    Altoona, Pa
    35,000 gallon in ground pool. Lazy L shaped
    Vinyl liner.
    300# sand filter
    3 Returns, 2 skimmers, and No bottom drain
    2hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fifth of July Haze

Give the chlorine some time to work!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Keep an extra close eye on your chlorine and run the filter around the clock. That kind of bather load will often create issues with both biologicals and sunscreen etc..
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

If your party was like our party, then I'd guess it was from your brother-in-laws lighting off mortars into the air, and not listening when you're telling them 90% of the paper, sawdust, and whatever else is in them is landing in the pool area. But if it were just swimmers......let the chlorine do it's thing.

Anybody wana clean out a pool full of fireworks.

5. Back To Top    #5

I thought I had the FC up high enough to prevent the haze, and when the CC were reading 0I I couldn't figure out where I went wrong. Still learning I guess.
    Johnny-M
    Altoona, Pa
    Vinyl liner.
    300# sand filter
    2hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

You took a good preventive measure, but you can't always be sure how your pool will react to bather loads, temperatures, etc. The good news is, with test kit in hand, you can take the steps necessary to remedy the situation.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Putting a higher FC in the pool PRIOR to swimming might have been a little more helpful but that is a really big swimmer load and I think you temporarily overwhelmed the system.

Like other have said, let the chlorine do it's job.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I know I need POP, but normally how long will the haze last and should I keep CL at shock level until back to normal?
    Johnny-M
    Altoona, Pa
    Vinyl liner.
    300# sand filter
    2hp pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-M
    I know I need POP, but normally how long will the haze last and should I keep CL at shock level until back to normal?
    I don't think I'd run it all the way up to shock, just the high end of normal. I'd worry if the pool wasn't pristine again in 24 hours.

There's always the test kit to ease your mind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Chlorine doesn't oxidize every chemical instantly and it doesn't oxidize some chemicals at all so you need to give both the chlorine and the circulation/filtration some time to recover from the heavier bather load. It should get clearer in a day or two. At least now you can appreciate why it is difficult for commercial/public pools to remain clear, though they are supposed to circulate the water more frequently. Having 1 bather per 1000 gallons, as in your case, is heavy bather load. One bather in 1000-5000 gallons is moderate and one bather in 5000 gallons or more is light.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you for the education. I do appreciate it greatly. It naked ne ask what so the public pools so differently to prevent this? Is it different chemicals or just a greater filtration system. If I had to do it again I think I would request a bigger sand filter maybe 600#I and a two speed pump. Not the one they sold me with the pool. Ignorance on my part.
    Johnny-M
    Altoona, Pa
    Vinyl liner.
    300# sand filter
    2hp pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you for the education. I do appreciate it greatly. It naked ne ask what so the public pools so differently to prevent this? Is it different chemicals or just a greater filtration system. If I had to do it again I think I would request a bigger sand filter maybe 600#I and a two speed pump. Not the one they sold me with the pool. Ignorance on my part.
    Johnny-M
    Altoona, Pa
    Vinyl liner.
    300# sand filter
    2hp pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Public pools have larger filters and larger pumps, relative to the size of the pool. They and also tend to use things in addition to chlorine to increase the rate of oxidation of bather waste. They also don't normally have as many people swimming per gallon of water as you did.

After a large pool party it is common for the water to cloud up for about 24 hours.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

And if you've been to a heavily used public pool, I wouldn't exactly say the water is crystal clear, at least not in my experience. For those that are, they do the things Jason wrote and possibly use more coagulants (clarifiers) as is done in Europe under DIN 19643 though that's also to help reduce disinfection by-product formation. The dullness is not unhealthy so long as there is still a proper Free Chlorine (FC) reading. It's only a serious issue if it becomes so cloudy that you cannot see the main drain with some clarity since then it becomes a safety issue not being able to see a drowned person at the bottom of the pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

it has been three days and a little bit of improvement. Pool is not crystal clear like normal. It is "dull" if that makes any sense. I did put some clarifier in and that really didn't do muck. CL has been around 13-16ppm each day since the party PH is 7.5. I guess it needs some more time? No more 75 people pool parties from now on.
    Johnny-M
    Altoona, Pa
    Vinyl liner.
    300# sand filter
    2hp pump

16. Back To Top    #16

have you tried the OCLT?

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes the OCLT was perfect. 0 CC in the pool at all. There is a black ring around the skimmers that wasn't there before. I am assuming it is lotion or oil..
    Johnny-M
    Altoona, Pa
    Vinyl liner.
    300# sand filter
    2hp pump

18. Back To Top    #18

I would still keep your FC up at shock level (I get 16ppm for your 45 ppm cya from PC) for a couple days, since your cloudiness is really persisting. I would redo the OCLT just in case.

What is are current TA and CH levels?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

19. Back To Top    #19

Ta is 110, CH 140
    Johnny-M
    Altoona, Pa
    Vinyl liner.
    300# sand filter
    2hp pump

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-M
    Ta is 110, CH 140
    I would guess you do not have calcium clouding.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast