Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backswimmers, Argh. Oh, and Hi!

1. Back To Top    #1

Backswimmers, Argh. Oh, and Hi!

New here, I've been lurking since I started researching pool maintenance in September of 2011 when we purchased our house with a pool. Glad I've avoided the pitfalls of the pool store advice and have been on the BBB method this year. It's so easy, and my kids think I'm a scientist with my Taylor test kit.

First and formost my current levels

FC 10 <- I lose about .5ppm overnight and about 3ppm during the day with cover off
    PH 7.4
    TA 100
    CH 275
    CYA 40

Putting the cover on the pool for the night I noticed a backswimmer, by the time I ran to get the skimmer it was long gone. I hate bugs in pools, and this has been vexing me since. I've already done a little searching around here but wanted to see if anyone has a link between cover off time / heat and the presence of these annoying creatures. My FC has been well near the top end of the recommended FC for my CYA, actually a little above since we have a lot of bather load with these hot days.

We've been having 95?F (35?C) days for a couple weeks which is great for swimming (not for landscapes though) and I've started keeping cover off to keep the water temp under control.

Are these pests just a fact of pool life? Anything I can do to discourage them? Is the cover off all day encouraging them to jump in?
    16x30 20,600 gal Inground Vinyl Pool Installed in 1984.
    Bought house in 2011. BBB. Taylor K-2006 test kit.
    Sta-Rite 1HP pump (looks old). Hayward s244t filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backswimmers, Argh. Oh, and Hi!

3pfilms:

Welcome to TFP

You can try borates - that tends to keep most insects away.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by 3pfilms
    New here, I've been lurking since I started researching pool maintenance in September of 2011 when we purchased our house with a pool. Glad I've avoided the pitfalls of the pool store advice and have been on the BBB method this year. It's so easy, and my kids think I'm a scientist with my Taylor test kit.

First and formost my current levels

FC 10 <- I lose about .5ppm overnight and about 3ppm during the day with cover off
    PH 7.4
    TA 100
    CH 275
    CYA 40

Putting the cover on the pool for the night I noticed a backswimmer, by the time I ran to get the skimmer it was long gone. I hate bugs in pools, and this has been vexing me since. I've already done a little searching around here but wanted to see if anyone has a link between cover off time / heat and the presence of these annoying creatures. My FC has been well near the top end of the recommended FC for my CYA, actually a little above since we have a lot of bather load with these hot days.

We've been having 95?F (35?C) days for a couple weeks which is great for swimming (not for landscapes though) and I've started keeping cover off to keep the water temp under control.

Are these pests just a fact of pool life? Anything I can do to discourage them? Is the cover off all day encouraging them to jump in?

Welcome,

I used to get backswimmers all the time, until I started the BBB method. I noticed you are doing BBB too, but really had to keep on top of the pool everyday to keep them out. I noticed if I keep my PH around 7.6 and FC levels around 9-10 I never have a problem. The minute I let the FC go down below 4.0, I started seeing them again . I decided, every night, just to raise up the FC and keep it near the max 9-10ppm. Since I've been doing that, I never see them. Hope this helps
    Pool size 10,000 AG
    Pebble Tec
    Jandy Cartridge Filter
    Build in 2008
    Waterfall, pop ups

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't see backswimmers anymore with my clear water but I still get bees. flies and wasps. I do have a little borate (about 15 ppm) but nothing has kept the bees out.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gsmiley
    Welcome,

I used to get backswimmers all the time, until I started the BBB method. I noticed you are doing BBB too, but really had to keep on top of the pool everyday to keep them out. I noticed if I keep my PH around 7.6 and FC levels around 9-10 I never have a problem. The minute I let the FC go down below 4.0, I started seeing them again . I decided, every night, just to raise up the FC and keep it near the max 9-10ppm. Since I've been doing that, I never see them. Hope this helps

Ran at 10ppm for another week with no more signs of them, trying 8ppm now to see how it goes.
    Thanks!
    p
    16x30 20,600 gal Inground Vinyl Pool Installed in 1984.
    Bought house in 2011. BBB. Taylor K-2006 test kit.
    Sta-Rite 1HP pump (looks old). Hayward s244t filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

How do you test for borates?
    24 ft. round ABG-vinyl-15200 gallon
    Sand Filter w/1 1/2 HP pump
    Installed May 2011
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    BBB method

http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

7. Back To Top    #7

18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

BTW, I have heard that the borate test strips are on back order and have been temporarily removed from the web page. Keep checking this link to see when they become available: http://tftestkits.net/Single-Item-Tests-c6/
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.