Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex rectangular ultra-frame 24x12 setup question

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex rectangular ultra-frame 24x12 setup question

So I have a 24X12 intex I'm currently filling. Did not do a sand base, just hard flat dirt like the instructions said. The issue I'm having is I used concrete pavers under the support legs, and the instructions say to have them flush but the picture just shows it sitting on the ground... I started to dig the first one out to make it flush but the leg barely would stand on it, it kept swinging in towards the pool. I checked the ground with a laser level before starting and the entire area is good +/- 1/2", but with the legs feeling loose I decided to just leave the pavers on top of the ground like in the picture.

Now it's about 1/2 full, and the long sides are bowing in as I've read is normal. I'm just getting nervous about the pads being too high. Even if the outer edge is a bit taller, the concrete edges won't touch the liner like it would if I had a round frame pool...but still I'm worried about putting too much strain on the liner if this is not correct.

Has anyone put this type of pool up without burying the pavers? I could post a few pics later but thought I'd ask to see if anyone has done it this way. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
    Ive read most of the material but I dont know how to create a signiture to start my pool set up (how many gall , or above ground with out this i'll never understand the test kit . The color s on tester after test is complete doesnt let me know if its accurate. HELP please,sp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex rectangular ultra-frame 24x12 setup question

Welcome to tfp, Chrizzo

From the intex manual:
    If the ground is not concrete (i.e., if it is asphalt, lawn or earth) you must place a piece
    of pressure-treated wood, size 15 x 15 x 1.2 (38 x 38 x 3cm), under each U-shaped
    support and flush with the ground. Alternatively you may use steel pads or reinforced
    tiles.
    The accompanying picture shows the wood being set on the ground (and not dug in).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

How did this work our for you? I am dealing with the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzo View Post
    So I have a 24X12 intex I'm currently filling. Did not do a sand base, just hard flat dirt like the instructions said. The issue I'm having is I used concrete pavers under the support legs, and the instructions say to have them flush but the picture just shows it sitting on the ground... I started to dig the first one out to make it flush but the leg barely would stand on it, it kept swinging in towards the pool. I checked the ground with a laser level before starting and the entire area is good +/- 1/2", but with the legs feeling loose I decided to just leave the pavers on top of the ground like in the picture.

Now it's about 1/2 full, and the long sides are bowing in as I've read is normal. I'm just getting nervous about the pads being too high. Even if the outer edge is a bit taller, the concrete edges won't touch the liner like it would if I had a round frame pool...but still I'm worried about putting too much strain on the liner if this is not correct.

Has anyone put this type of pool up without burying the pavers? I could post a few pics later but thought I'd ask to see if anyone has done it this way. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
    Again 24 x 12 x 52 intex
    Sand filter
    Saltwater
    Still learning l...

4. Back To Top    #4

Pavers should be at least 2" thick, wide enough that the entire flat portion of the leg is supported and dug down flush to the level ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

5. Back To Top    #5

From my own experience....You have to pay attention to this and be sure the ground under the pavers or pressure treated lumber is well supported. Well tamped earth, gravel base and then the pavers or lumber LEVEL with the ground. You would think the pavers are sufficiently strong to hold up, but they are not. . I set mine up last year and as it was filling I heard loud pops now and then over a three hour period. Thought the liner was just stretching or re-adjusting or something. When I checked around the pool after it was full, lo and behold I lost about half the pavers. Remember, if it's not set up on concrete, well tamped earth, well tamped gravel base that the pavers or pressure treated lumber sit on top of, level with the area where the bottom of the pool sits. We're taking ours down to pour a concrete pad in a month or so I think I'll have rectified the situation. Hope everything goes well. The image from Mickelin is a great example...
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

6. Back To Top    #6

I recommend 4" thick pavers. 2" can work. Or it might not. I've never heard of anyone having 4" pavers fail.
    And yes the top of the paver should be flush with the ground.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40