I'm new - Just a simple plumbing question

Jun 28, 2012
I've just joined TFP, I am currently messing around with my first pool this year. I've been going through all of the usual stuff, etc. And, I spend hours researching things online each night. 90% of my good info, has been discovered here.

I won't go into too many details re: my set-up right now, since I really just have one "burning" question that I would love to have answered - I'll explain:

I just discovered (after about 3 weeks of having everything running) that my Wife's Uncle didn't install the Hayward sand filter's hoses correctly. I began to suspect, that they were not installed correctly about 3 days ago. But just confirmed it tonight:
The hose from the (Hayward) pump, was attached to the fitting "labeled" 'Pool'
-And-
The hose going to the pool's "Input" (jet) was attached to the fitting "labeled" 'Pump'

I installed them both to their proper places tonight: Pump's out hose is now attached to the top fitting labeled Pump. And, the hose going into the side of the pool has been attached to the bottom fitting labeled Pool.

Now, aside from all the work, money, and frustration I've encountered up to this point (trying to get the pool clear) - My question (my main concern) is in two parts:
1. Just how damaging was it, to have the hoses installed in this (reversed) manor?
2. Is it safe to assume that the pool will finally begin to clear up?
(since just about every other factor has been "covered")

Thank you very much,
-Al
Reluctant Pool Boy

Welcome to TFP!

Probably didn't hurt anything. If the water chemistry is correct, it should clear. Is the water green? If so, that's a chemistry issue that would need to be resolved before it will clear.

Thank you so much! And thanks for approving me. Yes, this pool was closer to a pond. The only wildlife it lacked, since it already had all the aquatic insect groups represented - Were some fish & amphibians.
The water has been green (for three weeks) while trying to "open" the pool.
The good news, is that it's slowly turning blue now. Ever since I installed the hoses correctly.
This pool was a special circumstance. It had not been run in 3 years. And, it was almost 1/3rd filled with leaves.
We drained the pool (2x, actually). And, removed 5+ black garbage bags full of dead leaves & branches. There are still "some" leaves in it.
Which we plan to vacuum, as soon as we can. We can now see them.
Current chemistry issues are: FC - Still at 0, and CYA <0
The only other concern, besides chemistry above; is that the Hayward pump motor is too hot to touch! Ouch! And, I'm worried about it. :cry: We only run it during the day.

I would really, really, love to hear (preferably from an Expert) exactly how stupid it was, to have those hoses in the wrong positions. :hammer:

Well, thanks again, to all who replied!
Cheers,
Al
JohnT said:
Welcome to TFP!

Probably didn't hurt anything. If the water chemistry is correct, it should clear. Is the water green? If so, that's a chemistry issue that would need to be resolved before it will clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.