Control third valve with Easytouch 4 Single Body system

I have the Eztouch and am familiar with the wiring. I didn't see how you are going to control the relay, I must have missed this. Are you using an IS4 or other Pentair remote? I use an IS4 but also use a air switch for my Badujet system. The air switches are very neat and can use air line up to 150 feet and you don't have to worry about kids destroying them. Since I use a lot of automation I tend to maybe take things too far but I'd probably add a timer to the circuit so that the valve is not left in the ON position for extended periods or overnight.

@ MIchael - I copied this from the EasyTouch manual:

Valve A is automatically assigned to solar if “Solar” is enabled in the “Solar” menu. Tip: Use a “Feature Circuit” to control a valve actuator (see page 17).

I have my solar valve on Valve A and my cleaner Valve B

@ Todd - I have the relay and base on order and will report back on how it goes.

@ Jason - I am curious as to why this would be unreliable? I am only going to add this one extra valve and I am not sure that the actuator will know or care that it is not getting controlled by an SPDT relay or the main motherboard.

@ Jongig - I am setting up Feature 7 to control the Aux Extra output and will put an egg timer of 1 hour on it. I can activate Feature 7 from the QuickTouch remote - that I have tested already. I also need to increase my pump speed in order to push the water up the slide. My pumping system is in on a slope behind the pool and is about 2 feet below high water line, which makes for very efficient filtration. When I need to pump to my solar panels or to the slide I have to increase pump speed from about 1000 RPM to about 1500 RPM in order to develop the head I need. If I am not mistaken, the actuator valves always have some voltage to them but when they hit their limit switch internally after moving the circuit to the motor is cut, so there won't be any voltage on the motor. My reason for the timer is the fact that I use about 100 watts to filter and over 300 to run the slide or solar, so this keeps my kids from turning on the slide at 10 AM for a half hour swim and leaving it on until I get home later! I do this with the pool lights and other things like my landscape lighting which is also controlled through the EasyTouch.

JasonLion said:
There is more to an actuator controller than a SPDT relay. While the proposed circuit will kind of work, it is likely to be unreliable, especially if you try to control more than one actuator this way.

Just to clarify, the Jandy Valve Actuator Board and the Intellitouch Valve Expansion Boards have SPDT relays that are soldered on to the PCB board that actuate the valve actuators. If you look at the pictures of both of these unit you will see little rectangular shaped blocks. Those rectangular shaped blocks are actually SPDT relays. In terms of the Intellitouch Expansion Board there will be 3 blocks. Each block is a relay for each individual valve actuator. So, in terms of adding an external relay, like the Idec that I recommended, the system will work the same way.

Jason, you are correct in stating that this many not work for more than 1 actuator on a single relay. But each valve actuator would require its own relay to control it.

I hope that this clarifies it.

Thanks,
Todd

Todd - I made this little drawing in Visio to show the wiring. I am pretty sure this is the correct wiring but will verify the colors of the actuator wires when my actuator gets here.

Attachments

• Aux Extra Valve Control.pdf
    6.3 KB · Views: 129
tomzo said:
@ Jongig - I am setting up Feature 7 to control the Aux Extra output and will put an egg timer of 1 hour on it. I can activate Feature 7 from the QuickTouch remote - that I have tested already. I also need to increase my pump speed in order to push the water up the slide. My pumping system is in on a slope behind the pool and is about 2 feet below high water line, which makes for very efficient filtration. When I need to pump to my solar panels or to the slide I have to increase pump speed from about 1000 RPM to about 1500 RPM in order to develop the head I need. If I am not mistaken, the actuator valves always have some voltage to them but when they hit their limit switch internally after moving the circuit to the motor is cut, so there won't be any voltage on the motor. My reason for the timer is the fact that I use about 100 watts to filter and over 300 to run the slide or solar, so this keeps my kids from turning on the slide at 10 AM for a half hour swim and leaving it on until I get home later! I do this with the pool lights and other things like my landscape lighting which is also controlled through the EasyTouch.

You mention "when I". I hope you mean "When the EZ-touch"? As you know you can assign different pump speeds to each item. I run my solar at 30 GPM but you can set it for whatever you want. As long as you're getting flow through the system you would just adjust it to make sure you're turning over the water over a period of time. I installed a flow meter on mine so that I know what the setup is doing. Depending on the pump you have you either adjust by GPM or speed.

You're right that unless the valve is moving it's not using any electricity.

I really like the Intelliflo pump and it's settings within the EZ-touch. These days I have to go walk by the filter pad just to see what does all the work since we can't hear it or see it.

Tom,
That looks great. I was going to generate a wiring diagram in AutoCAD but it looks like you beat me to it. The only thing that I would change, to stay within the industrial standard, is connect the Black wire from the Valve Actuator to the Red Wire (24VAC Common) and the Red/White wire (24VAC) to the relay since the Red/White wire is the power coming off the circuit breaker. But, either way would work since you are dealing with AC voltage.

Todd

Todd - quick update:

I confirmed that the black wire on the valve is the one that has the constant voltage on it and the red and white wires alternate as the common. Some testing with a voltmeter confirmed this.

Also, on my unit the wire that is called out as red/white is actually just white and it goes through the circuit breaker. Odd color choice but that is the way it is.

I am waiting for my relay to arrive (Tuesday) so I have to wait until then to get this wired up. I will post the results at that time.

Tom

Todd - I have the relay installed but I think it is the wrong relay. The could voltage needs to be 24VDC but the relay I have (RH1B-ULAC24V) has a 24VAC coil. Am I missing something? I have the actuator wired as shown on the diagram and it works by using the switch but the relay does not work as I think the input voltage is incorrect.

I assume I can get another IDEC relay that will fit that slot that uses a 24VDC coil.

Tom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Success! Controlling a third valve on Easytouch 4 system

Greetings,

After a few stumbles I have finally completed the process of controlling a third valve using the EasyTouch 4 motherboard. It was accomplished using the 2-speed pump relay output to a SPDT relay (with a 24vdc coil) connected to the valve wires. Power was drawn directly from the transformer before the connection to the motherboard which required a splice. It was wired very much as shown in my other posts but I did not use the Aux Extra as it did not work as I have a solar system.

Programming the Easytouch is always an adventure but it works!

If I had just not blown a motherboard during the process it would have been better, but I was able to repair my motherboard (that is for another post).

Tom

I may have spoke too soon - my wife called me while I was at work this morning and said that the slide water had come on all by itself. I am thinking that the solar system was called to turn on and the Easytouch called the valve to actuate. UGH - back to the crazy programming!

Tom,

I wasn't aware that the output to the relay from the motherboard was 24VDC and not 24VAC. Sorry, for leading you down the wrong path. So, now the issue that you are having has to do with programming the EasyTouch 4. I hope that you are able to resolve the programming issue so that you can enjoy your slide.

What are the using the other Aux Relays for on the EasyTouch? Could you piggy back one of those for controlling the Slide?
'
Todd

In theory, it should be pretty simple to fix. If you're using the 2-speed relay output to trigger this actuator, and it was activated when solar came on, that must mean that "Solar" is specified as a circuit that is to trigger high speed. If you go into the 2-speed pump menu, you should be able to un-designate it. Unless, of course, high speed when solar is active is something that is hard-coded and not changeable.

--Michael

@ Michael - I only have one circuit of the 4 available on the 2 speed pump designated and that is to Feature 7 which I am using as the slide control. I have not programmed the 2 speed pump to activate on solar at all. I do ramp up the pump speed of my Intelliflo VS pump using the controls for that pump in the Intelliflo menu. I am going to do some testing tomorrow when I have some time off to see what is going on.

@Todd - no worries - it is a strange board will all sorts of voltages on it. I knew it was 24VDC but did not recognize the significance of the part number for the relay. There are four of these relays - Solar Booster/Aux Extra, 2 Speed Pump, spa, and Electric heater. In theory I should be able to get one of these to do the trick so this looks like it will be a bit of trial and error (again) to make it happen.

Hmmm... one other possibility... when my 2-speed pump is first turned on, it starts on high speed, runs for 5 minutes or so (presumably for priming/sflow stabilization purposes), then shifts back down to low speed (unless a circuit that calls for high speed is active).

So, I wonder if something similar happens when solar is called for... even if it's not a designated high-speed circuit, the unit wants to run the pump on high speed for a certain period of time to ensure good low is established through the panels (of course, in your case there is no 2-speed pump).

--Michael

Yep - I sat through the solar start up yesterday and it ran the 2 speed pump for 5 minutes and then shut that off but the rest of the solar settings remained. Strange to be sure but it works!

Thanks to all for the help on getting this going!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.