Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: AA treatment

AA treatment

Can u swim durning this process? Also if showers r in the forecast would that be a problem?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

Re: AA treatment

No, no swimming because the pH will be low and there will be NO CHLORINE to kill the nasties!!

IMHO, I suggest that anyone wanting to do an AA treatment wait until the end of swim season. An AA treatment can seriously cut into swim time in the middle of summer. Just saying.....
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

I thought the whole process could be done in a week
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

When you have kids who want to swim, a week is forever.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Why would it take a week? ph 7.2, dont' think it will take a week to get it to hold FC and no overnight chlorine loss?

when your ready to raise chlorine, wouldn't you just add it several times a day slowly while it fights the AA?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

Ok.....if I do wait,is it a waste of money to use the Jacks magic?

It is very common for it to take a week, though it can happen in four days occasionally, and can take up to two weeks occasionally. You need 24 hours with AA before adjusting everything. Then the water clouds up and it is difficult to maintain an FC level for a couple of days, and then it can take a little while to get everything back to normal levels. It is also possible to get algae during the process, which adds at least another week.

Using sequestrant while you have stains has pros and cons. Sequestrant is fairly expensive, and may do nothing. On the other hand, sequestrant alone can sometimes remove the stains (not common but it does happen now and then). Plus, if there is still metal in the water sequestrant will prevent the stains from getting worse.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Since it is expensive would you hold off using it? My pool takes 2 bottles just as initial dose.

tonight for me will make 24 hours, water turned cloudy initially, but filter running constant, its already starting to get crystal clear.

My spa will gradually raise my PH which is already at 7.1, i can start adding chlorine tonight, but may just wait till tommorow morning since it will be nighttime tonight.

I work at home, so tommorow i will be able to add chlorine many times as it fights the AA
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater