Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test

Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test

I realize to do the OCLT, I should turn off any chlorine source. Is it OK to leave the pump running all night for circulation or should I turn the pump off also?

Thanks
    IG
    Vinyl
    27,000 gallons
    DE filter
    BBB Method
    Taylor K-2006C Test Kit
    Opaque automatic cover.
    Pool usually covered unless there are swimmers.

Re: Overnihgt Free Chlorine Loss Test

As long as you give the chlorine enough time to mix (maybe and hour), you can do it with pump off, but you will want to be up extra early to get your pump moving the water a while before doing the morning test. IMO, it is better to just leave it on, but it doesn't have to be.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Re: Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks, Linen. One further question. Usually I do the morning test for the OCLT before the pump has been turned on and before the water is circulating. Does that make my free chlorine test invalid?
    IG
    Vinyl
    27,000 gallons
    DE filter
    BBB Method
    Taylor K-2006C Test Kit
    Opaque automatic cover.
    Pool usually covered unless there are swimmers.

Re: Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test

It could, since there can be localized consumption of chlorine.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.