Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: where to put the sock full of CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

where to put the sock full of CYA?

It sure seems convenient to tie my sock up after filling it with CYA and drop it in the skimmer basket, but someone in another forum said you shouldn't do that? Is that true? If so, why not?
    Mike
    25k IG w/ Pebble Sheen
    + 8' diameter spa w/spillway
    Hayward ProLogic + T-CELL-15 SWCG
    Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: where to put the sock full of CYA?

I have mine hanging at the filter discharge nozzle so that the residue gets mixed by the turbulent water entering the pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ive done the same (hanging in front of the returns) Only did this to not clog up my filter with slow dissolving granules of CYA.
    25K Gallon IG Vinyl Liner w/ concrete walls True "L" 16X32X16, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward Swimclear C4030 Filter, Hayward 21104T Heat Pro Titanium Heat Pump, Hayward Aqua Plus SWG + Automation, 2 Hayward Color Logic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 9300 cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I hang my sock in front of a return.
    10,000gal fiberglass kidney
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    (2) PAL2000 multi colored LED lights
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

5. Back To Top    #5

I put mine in pantyhose and put it in the skimmer............and run the pump till it dissolves. Just don't let it sit there without pump running.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Why can't it "sit there without pump running" if it doesn't all dissolve the first day (without running pump overnight)?
    Mike
    25k IG w/ Pebble Sheen
    + 8' diameter spa w/spillway
    Hayward ProLogic + T-CELL-15 SWCG
    Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA in the skimmer basket is just fine as long as it does not completely block the water flow into the skimmer. This is true even if the pump is not running. However, you should run the pump for 24 hours after adding CYA anyway, so that doesn't usually come up.

It isn't good to leave trichlor in the skimmer when the pump is going to be off. Trichlor is much more acidic than CYA. Left in the skimmer trichlor will build up very high FC levels and very low PH while the pump is off, which can then damage the equipment when the pump turns on. CYA is not nearly that acidic, and it doesn't affect equipment the way chlorine does, so it is not a problem in that sense.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I put mine in a sock then put the sock in the puck float that I no longer had a use for.
    20,000 gallon
    above ground
    Sta-rite PLD 50
    D.E.
    60 gpm @ 11psi
    1 hp pump
    30 sq.ft. filter
    TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

What I normally do if I need cya to rise, is to take a cya level reading, fill 1 plastic cup with CYA, dump the contents of the cup into a sock, tie the sock with both a tie and rubber band, put in skimmer in the morning just after pump starts, wait 3 days, remove sock (all the cya should have disolved), wait ~2 more days and read cya level, if still too low, repeat process until cya is where I want it. I'm not aware of any issues with leaving the sock in the skimmer....just make sure to have a sock that doesn't have any holes and keep in mind that at least for the first few hours - there will be at least a ~0.1 drop in pool pH for my size pool - but if done at the start of the day is normally easily corrected via airation by end of day. I wait for at least 1hr after putting sock in before letting anyone swim - although that is probably more a matter of personal preference. I don't run pump continuously for 24hrs after adding, only ~12hrs which is usually enough given our water temp is ~88 degrees most days and the skimmer gets good water flow.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

10. Back To Top    #10

I just added 4 lbs via an old sock in front of the return. It took less than a day to dissolve. Add the CYA, tie off the top, stick it in front of the jet, put a brick on the top to hold it in place. That's it. If you want to rush it, squeeze the sock every so often.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida