Ok.....I need some help....

Belzey

Jun 17, 2012
Let me start by saying thank you to all of you who contribute to this forum. Being able to learn from peers is wonderful.

I am a first time pool owner. This year I decided to get my feet wet and bought an Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame Pool along with the Intex CS15110 SWG & Sand Filter. I put the pool up last weekend and filled it, added 120lbs of salt, then turned the pump on w/o SWG running to mix in the salt. The next day I turned the SWG on and it ran for 2 minutes and said low salt. So I turned just the filter pump on for another 24hrs to see if it needed to be mixed more, the next day when I turned the SWG back on same "low salt" warning. So back to the pool store I went, bought and added 40lbs more salt and now the SWG runs fine for the 3 hrs a day that I have it programmed to run, I run the filter pump about 12 hrs per day and the water is crystal clear. However, after reading here I believe I am not where I need to be.

Here is what I have......done with AquaChek test strips. Ordering the good kit later today...

Salt - 4010ppm
pH - 6.8
FC - 0
Alk - 40
CYA - 0-10

Please help me get on track. I think I should be shocking to get free chlorine up so that the SWG can go from there.

Raise your PH up into the low 7ish range before bumping Fc up----------(with bleach). YOur CYA is waaaaaay low for running a SWG too. You need to be around 70ish. Welcome and visit pool school.

It sounds like you have never added Stabilizer or stabilized chlorine (dry either dichlor or trichlor) if that is the case your CYA level would be 0.

Assuming it is 0 You need to add about 3 1/4 pounds of dry CYA stabilizer to reach 70ppm of CYA (if where you buy it only has 3 pound containers that is close enough), you just don't want to over shoot. (CYA stabilizer can be found anywhere that sells pool supplies, Wal-Mart, Lowes, pool stores, etc.)

Ike

p.s. when adding stabilizer put it in an old sock and hang it where it will float free in front of a return line, it is acidic so you don't want to leave it in contact with the liner wall, it may take several days to dissolve, and may take over a week to show up on a test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.