Is it worth converting to SWCG?

BuzW

Feb 24, 2012
Plano, TX
I bought a house in February... first time pool owner... Plano Texas.

I've been reading this forum for a few months. Right now my pool looks great but I know my CYA is high.

I was just wondering if it was worth the cost to convert to a SWCG system. Seems a bit pricey, but what's the payout?

Cost is certainly not the driving factor ... convenience is.

Try the bleach method for awhile to learn how to maintain the pool. Then of you get tired of hauling jugs, look into the SWG.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Depends on what you consider pricey. It cost me around $900 to do mine myself. That includes over $100 for copper fittings for my ancient pool plumbing so I could attach PVC, the SWCG, and the salt. And you won't need near as much salt as me, and doubtful you'll have to buy those copper fittings. With a much smaller pool than I have, you could also get away with a smaller SWCG, but I would highly recommend getting the same one I have for longevity reasons.

I travel a lot, so there's nobody here to babysit my chlorine level. Plus, the wife was getting tired of hauling Clorox from Costco, even though I was buying just as much as her from Kroger.

Consider what you spend per year on bleach, the hassle of it all, the need to pretty much check your FC daily (I check mine once or twice a week now), and the worry you might have if you travel for work or pleasure...

In my mind, in the scope of what a pool costs to build and maintain, another $900 is pennies in the bucket.

Your CYA will need to be around 70-80 for your SWCG, so if you are there already, take that into consideration.

You will most likely spend more on muriatic acid than you are now, but it's cheap, and you won't use near as much as you do bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.