Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: calcium clouding?

1. Back To Top    #1

calcium clouding?

I think I have calcium clouding. I added too much soda ash ( 4 cups when the pH was 7.2 ) and immediately got clouding. I had calcium levels of 350 a while back. After adding the soda ash the pH was 8.0 and TA around 115, cya around 70 and FC about 3, and the CH is at 225. I've run the filter for 12 hrs. and it's significantly less cloudy (I have a sand filter). I also added 16 oz of ultra bright clarifier. Pool guy says it should clear within a few days and that I don't need to lower the pH. I have a 20,000 gal vinyl liner pool with a filter that doesn't appear to catch tiny particles. Should I do something else? What is the solution for calcium clouding? Thanks a lot! Glenn (new member)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: calcium clouding?

Lower PH to get rid of calcium clouding. Technically, adjust levels so that CSI is negative. Sometimes it will go away on it's own given time, other times it doesn't go away unless you manually lower the CSI. It really depends on what your current levels are.

Your PH is a little to high anyway, so you might as well lower it regardless.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. What is the protocol for lowering the pH? Would going down to say, 7.2, better ensure the unclouding? Also, I checked out poolcalculator but couldn't figure out how to calculate my CSI. Do all fields get filled in for the whole form?

4. Back To Top    #4

Use muriatic acid based on the calculations you get in the pool calculator. If you put in your current and goals for pH, you'll see the CSI change on the goal side. I don't worry too much about CSI, I keep my pool balanced and CSI just falls into place.

Yes, you need to fill in the entire form with all your numbers. Don't forget to enter your pool type (plaster/vinyl) and goals source (troublefreepool).

Once you do all that, the calculator will tell you how much MA to add.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. So it does make sense that my clouding is calcium related? Would going down to say, 7.2, better ensure the unclouding?

6. Back To Top    #6

We can't be certain, but the odds are excellent that your cloudy water will go away if you lower the PH to 7.2.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Just to add to JasonLion's comment:

I get a csi of 0.58 for the test numbers you included above (from poolcalculator assuming 90F). What is your water temp?

How did you get those numbers? If from the pool store, it is possible they are wrong and you csi could be even higher. You should invest in an appropriate test kit, see my sig. If their numbers are right, then you are at the top of the csi scale and lowering your ph will definitely help if it is calcium clouding (if just lowering ph clears it quickly then you will know for sure). Lowering to 7.2 would be a good spot to start with...do not go below 7.0.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Robbie, Jason, Linen. THANK YOU for your valuable time and advice. My pool temp is about 74 and the numbers are from my test kit plus a pool store. I'm off to get it confirmed at a 2nd store and add the appropriate amt. of muriatic acid. I have only a surface skimmer and 1 return near the surface in the shallow end. what is the best way to add it? How long should the unclouding take?

9. Back To Top    #9

Pour the acid slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. I recommend starting with half as much acid as you think you need. Give it half an hour to mix in, then test your PH and adjust further as needed.