Cloudy blue pool water

Sand Filters can be slow to catch the small particles - that's what the fiber clear is for. Everytime you backwash you loose the fiber clear - so reload!

Progress may be slow at first- but be vigilant with the chlorine. You'll get there.

Just to update....I added the fiber clear stuff to my water last night as well as dumping in a gallon and a half of bleach. I think the water is looking better (i can see to the third step now :) and it must be doing something as when I got home I desperately needed to backwash. I tested chlorine and again it was higher than five but not as dark as it was yesterday morning. I added more fiber clear after I backwashed this am and am hoping for my test kit to come and hopefully some improvement this evening....we shall see. My plan is to brush the pool again, vaccuum again and backwash as needed. Fingers crossed that my kit comes so I can get some accurate readings. Just wanted to see what you all thought or is the improvement my imgagination?? :)

Thanks so much

Attachments

• pool day 2.JPG
    pool day 2.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 253
So your goal right now is to keep the FC level at or above the shock level for your CYA until the pool clears. At CYA 65 your shock level is 26ppm.

You are currently at 35ppm - so above shock level - which is good. Feel free to test before bed - and add chlorine if needed (doubtful)

It's mostly up to the filter at this point - so keep it running, keep backwashing as necessary, keep up with the fiber clear - it'll get there.

So I went to bed early last night and slept in (my night off) and I woke and tested the fc at 16! So I put it into the cool pool calculator app that is now on my phone and added the bleach. I should keep rechecking it every hour or so?

My other question is that I am having to backwash my filter alot since addin the fiber clear each time. More than twice a day. Is this normal?

Thanks again

Thank goodness:). I am a nurse. Not a chemist. This pool test kit is enormous!!
I will be viligant about testing and backwashing then. We are going out of town for a wedding this weekend so I have the friend who is watching the dogs coming over to teach her how to manage the pool while we are gone too. She has never had a pool either but it is her sons grad party we are hosting so she has a huge vested interest to help!!! I have 8 days and counting till the party so my fingers are firmly crossed that it clears by then!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a nurse then, you learn just what each person needs on a weekly/daily/monthly basis. Your pool will be the same. Add x amount chlorine daily, add x amount muric acid weekly or as needed, run CYA test monthly.

As for vacation....your friend can just add a set amount of chlorine each day. Show them that test and have them call you daily with that reading. Put the info in the calculater and tell them to add X amount bleach.

Just an update!! Take a look at my blue swamp now:)
It is still just a tad cloudy but is so so so much better. Not too bad for a weeks worth of work :)
I have had to add water (a lot of water) due to all the backwashing and the swimming so I rechecked my CYA and it has come down to 60 :)
My chlorine this am was 27.5

I have been brushing twice a day (my friend brushed while I was gone and she called me multiple times to adjust the chlorine) and the backwashing is down to just once a day now. I have been running the auto vac a couple of hours a day as well. Still using the fiber clear stuff though.

So my question is that I have this party on Friday. How long will it take for the chlorine to go down to normal levels and how long do I need to keep up the shocking. I know the chlorine is irritating my skin so I dont want to affect all my guests. Would it be alright to let it reduce for the party or not. If not they will deal I am sure, I am just excited for my pool to look clean again.

Guess I am looking for direction once again....
Thanks so much :)
You all gave me my pool back!!!!!!
Amy

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    465.7 KB · Views: 209
What is your CC level down to? At a 60CYA level you can reduce your shock level to 18 now. It is fully safe to swim up to that mark. There are ways to quickly reduce your FC level, but I would suggest letting the sun do the work for you. ONLY however......

1. You pass the OCLT
2. CC is .5 or less
3. Water is clear

Do you pass these three??

Nice Work!

Have you run an overnight chlorine loss test?

If I passed the overnight test I'd be letting the pool drift down to the normal range starting today. This isn't the standard advice - your pool is still a little cloudy - but the issue has been sand filter related for some time.

The other thing is the irritated skin - this could easily be PH related and not chlorine. So you want to get that FC level down with enough time to test PH accurately and correct it for the party.

I will do the chorine loss Test tonight..the chlorine can't vary by more than .5 r
Right? And the pool is a tiny bit cloudy as of this morning. We shall see what It does today.
As far as cc goes I dint test for them. But will do :)

And shock is supposed to be 18? O thought it was 26??? Did I read it wrong??
The ph could very well be the issue. I had issues with it all last summer and that actually would make my pool cloudy.
Should I let the cl drift then??
Thanks
Amy

Your shock level will vary depending on your CYA level. The lower the CYA the lower your shock. I also use the values on the pool calculator, which is lower than those on the FC/CYA chart. Both work....but the FC/CYA chart tends to be higher, thus working faster. If you wish to keep on the fast track....your new FC level for shocking will be 24 from the FC/CYA chart.

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

As for PH....did it lower itself often? If so then I'd guess using tabs or powdered shock that is stabilized with trichlor or dichlor was your issue. These two lower the PH in the pool when you add them. Doing away with these, stops the drop in PH.

I'd say your filter just has to catch the last few dead bodies in the pool. Is the pressure going up much slower than before?

I may has missed this.....what is your current CC level? I'm guessing it's low too?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.