Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lost its sharpness

1. Back To Top    #1

lost its sharpness

fc 6.5 cc less than .5 ta 150 ph 7.8 cya50
    every things looked good until a big swim party today and then the water turned silghty cloudy. have been workin on the TA And PH. was wondering if this is what caused the cloudy look
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: lost its sharpness

Probably just the biological load. A little extra chlorine and pump run time would be a good idea to help it clear.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

i give it a try once i get all the rugrats out. thanks
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

4. Back To Top    #4

Cloudy water during and for perhaps 24 hours after a large swim party is common. Bump the FC level up to the high end of the normal range once everyone is out of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks, it already looking better this morning

6. Back To Top    #6

You could also try adding some DE or cellulose fiber (FiberClear, ZeoFiber) to your sand filter. Here is a Pool School article on how to do this: pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter. The application process is the same with either product. As for the dosing amount, follow the Pool School article if using DE. If using cellulose fiber, follow the dosing amount shown on the product label. Either way, check your filter pressure frequently as the improved filtering can send the PSI up faster than what you are accustomed to seeing.

Putting my $ where my mouth is, I use cellulose fiber as an aid to my sand filter with excellent results.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

You could also try adding some DE or cellulose fiber (FiberClear, ZeoFiber) to your sand filter.
    OP's only issue was the increased bather load. This wasn't persistent chronic cloudiness but simply due to the increased organic load (including just some extra dirt) that lots of swimmers always bring to a pool.

BBB is about K.I.S.S. Simply elevating the FC levels a bit as JohnT suggested above will almost surely get the pool back to clear without the use of anything else.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

OP's only issue was the increased bather load. This wasn't persistent chronic cloudiness but simply due to the increased organic load (including just some extra dirt) that lots of swimmers always bring to a pool. BBB is about K.I.S.S. Simply elevating the FC levels a bit as JohnT suggested above will almost surely get the pool back to clear without the use of anything else.
    Agree that bumping up the FC is the first line of defense in this case, as previous posts had already indicated. The point of my post was to share a suggestion (DE / cellulose fiber) that has worked well for me that the OP (REBARBEE) could consider in the event that the water is taking longer to get back to the clarity it was before the pool party. If the water clears up to REBARBEE's satisfaction with extra FC and pump run time, then that's good enough.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

BoDarville, adding DE or cellulose as a filter aid, while a great general purpose suggestion, will not have any visible impact in this specific situation. With high bather load the cloudiness comes on quickly and with appropriate FC levels is already gone before most of the water can pass through the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School