Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My new firepit

1. Back To Top    #1

My new firepit

Here are a few pics of my firepit I built this spring. When I get everything cleaned up a little better I will send pics of the whole backyard with pool and firepit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20'x40' inground, vinyl 38,000 gal. Auto Cover. Sand filter 300#. 1 1/2 hp pump. Pentair master temp 250 heater. Circupool Si60 chorine generator. TF-100 test kit. Borates--life is good😎.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My new firepit

Ooooh, fancy!

I hope it's downwind of the pool. The only decent spot for my barbeque is upwind, so I know plenty of fine ash and greasy smoke ends up on the surface of my pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

No BBQ'n on this one. Its for sitting around having a cool adult beverage. Kids already asked when they could roast marshmallows though. Its gas so shouldn't be any ash, did have a little black soot when I first fired it up. Air/Gas mixing valve might need adjusting.
    20'x40' inground, vinyl 38,000 gal. Auto Cover. Sand filter 300#. 1 1/2 hp pump. Pentair master temp 250 heater. Circupool Si60 chorine generator. TF-100 test kit. Borates--life is good😎.

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice! Do you mind sharing approximate budget range? I know there will be regional pricing variations, but at least to get an idea.
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

5. Back To Top    #5

I built it myself. So it was much cheaper than others I found. Couldn't find anything close to what I wanted locally so that's why I decided to build it myself. I have about $1200 in materials only. This doesnt included the gas line to the pit. The fire ring and gas valve along with the logs were ordered online that was close to $600. Stone on the side is cultured stone a concrete product around $200. The flagstone on top was a little over $100. It cost about that to rent a saw and cut it to size. Had a sheet of stainless steel cut to fit the octagon shape for a pan to hold the burner up and the lava rock and logs. Hardest part was figuring gas pressure to get the right amount of BTUs to the burner. Fortunately good people where I buy the propane figured this out for me. Flames, when the wind is calm, are 12" to 15". My wife wasn't paying me for the labor so I didn't keep track of hours, but it was a lot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFan_1
    The fire ring and gas valve along with the logs were ordered online that was close to $600.
    Looks great, I've been wanting to do this but am surprised at the cost of the burner parts, I've been searching online, where did you buy from?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes I was surprised at the cost of the burner parts too. The place I ordered from was in Georgia website is http://www.finesgas.com. I spoke with them on the phone before ordering,very helpful with the questions I had. If my wife wouldn't have been I probably would have built my own burner ring too. Very little to it.