Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reagents

1. Back To Top    #1

Reagents

I have a taylor k-2006 test kit. Some of the reagents are 2 yrs old. How long can they last without becoming ineffective?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reagents

Read through extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

In each section it describes what happens to the reagents when they go bad. 2 years may be pushing it for some, but others are probably fine ... depending on how you have stored the kit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I know for a fact that the DPD Reagent #2 will expire. I was using one without getting any test results, then bought a new #2 and results were in.
    24k gallon inground gunite with fibertech liner
    Cartridge filter 100 sq ft

4. Back To Top    #4

RECOGNIZING A COMPROMISED REAGENT

Generally speaking, a reagent's suitability for testing is suspect if it is over one year old, if it is not the color you are used to seeing (or has changed color over time), if you see floating particles in it that do not dissolve when shaken, if it has begun to stain its container, or if it has crusted around the tip of the dropper bottle.

Here are some clues that indicate these specific reagents should be discarded:

Any liquid that has frozen
    A liquid reagent may still be effective after freezing. Allow it to thaw at room temperature. If the bottle cracks, if you see a crusty buildup around the dropper tip, or if there are floating particles that do not dissolve when the bottle is shaken, replace the reagent.

R-0002 DPD Reagent #2
    This solution should be colorless to be effective. As it reacts with oxidizers, the color will vary, ranging from colorless to pink then darkening to a final brown.

R-0003 DPD Reagent #3
    This solution should be colorless. As it degrades, the color will become increasingly yellow.

R-0004 pH Indicator (Phenol Red)
    As it degrades, the solution changes from its original red color to a yellow or purple.

R-0008 Total Alkalinity Indicator
    This solution should be a dark green color. When it begins to stain the milky-colored plastic bottle, differences in initial test and endpoint colors also will be observed.

R-0011L Calcium Hardness Indicator
    This solution should be a deep blue color. Any other color is an indication of replacement.

R-0718 Silver Nitrate Reagent
    This solution should be colorless. There are no easily observable indications. We recommend you discard and replace on an annual basis. Note: R-0718 will stain skin.

R-0870 DPD Powder
    As it degrades, the color will turn from an off-white color to gray or purple-gray and will gradually become a purple- brown color.

R-0871/R-0872 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (for chlorine/bromine)
    This solution should be colorless. As it degrades, the color will become increasingly yellow.

Our customer service representatives can assist you in determining whether a reagent should be replaced.

Taylor formulates its reagents to remain effective for at least one year, with only very few exceptions (molybdenum indicator in liquid form is one; after four months old it should be tested against a standard periodically). As a general precaution, replace all reagents more than one year old, or at the beginning of a new testing season.

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ontentID=2

http://taylortechnologies.com/product_f ... fe_web.pdf

5. Back To Top    #5

They seem ok except the DPD powder it looks like its turning a little off white or grayish. It seems pretty consistent though when testing FC.

I got the shock level up to 12 ppm, it dropped to 10.5 which in turn I put 60 ounces of bleach and it brought it back up to 12. I do realize I need to buy more but by the time I get it in the mail......

what should I do?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

6. Back To Top    #6

According to the Extended test instructions, it seems fine if the powder is turning gray.

tftestkits.net can get you refills pretty quickly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Called Leslie's, they don't have a clue. I ordered online tftestkits. Hope it comes soon!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Called Leslie's, they don't have a clue. I ordered online tftestkits. Hope it comes soon!
    If you ordered before 2:00PM Easterm, it's on it's way to you. After 2:00PM, it will ship tomorrow and likely get to you in two days or less depending on your distance from NC.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Cool,thanks. I should have checked my kit a month ago. My bad

10. Back To Top    #10

Call Taylor on the phone

Hello All~

Once maybe twice a year I call Taylor and spend a few minutes on the phone with one of the reps checking through my reagents and their lot numbers to find out if my reagents are "Fresh", "Usable", or ought to be tossed. Easy.

I keep my reagents in the house year round and I do my testing inside, which keeps everything as stable as possible.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.