Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cyanuric Acid at bottom of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cyanuric Acid at bottom of pool

Don't know what to do I followed directions and sprinkled threw out pool but it is not dissolving and I don't want it to ruin the bottom of pool, and my vacuum doesn't work.
    Above Ground Intex 18'X9'X54" Ultra frame rectangular Pool. Intex filter pump, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System. Solar Pool Cover.Eco Saver 20-Foot Solar Heating Panel System.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cyanuric Acid at bottom of pool

We do not recommend sprinkling it in the pool since it can take a long time to dissolve and it is acidic so it can discolor and damage the liner. If you have a vacuum, vacuum it into the filter, then do not backwash/clean the filter for a few days so it has time to dissolve. If you do not have a vacuum, then brush,brush,brush fairly often to keep it off of any one spot too long.

My preferred way of using cya is in an old sock hung in front of the pool return.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. No vacuum, so we brushing it every 1 to 2 hours seems to be slowly dissolving . I will for sure be using your tip with the sock next time! Ty
    Above Ground Intex 18'X9'X54" Ultra frame rectangular Pool. Intex filter pump, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System. Solar Pool Cover.Eco Saver 20-Foot Solar Heating Panel System.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahrip
    Thank you. No vacuum, so we brushing it every 1 to 2 hours seems to be slowly dissolving . I will for sure be using your tip with the sock next time! Ty
    You bet! Those intex ultra liners are pretty tough, so I think it is unlikely this will cause you any problems.

I wish the instructions on that CYA didn't tell you to broadcast it This has happened many times to many people.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Lol don't know why they don't have better instructions! Grrr! the sock method should be mandatory on every container! h

6. Back To Top    #6

Aloha!

Here's one for you...even if you add the CYA to the skimmer, the granules can go through the skimmer basket and then down the secondary skimmer port that is often ported to the inside wall of a plaster pool. The granules can drizzle down from there to the bottom of the pool, and do damage. I now use a 1-1/4 inch male plug in the secondary port to keep it free of CYA, and make sure it has all gone to the pump basket before I remove that plug.

Aloha
    Warren
    Big Island Pool Service

No pool of my own...but my customers' pools are ALL my foster babies!!