Why not keep CYA very very low?

May 21, 2012
Hi, I've been using the techniques for the last year and have been very happy. Last year my CYA was around 40 at closing. This year after startup it is stone cold zero, checked several times.

I used some trichor shock at startup to add a bit of cya, but otherwise have been using the standard care techniques. The cya test is the tiniest bit milky with the tube full (? cya of 5-10)

The pool gets about 3 hours of direct sunlight. And at least for now seems to only lose about 1-2 of FC each day.

Why not leave the cya super low? It would free me up to occasionally use chlorine pucks when i'm out of town etc.

Thanks,
Steve

If you have very little sunlight on your pool you may be able to get away with lower CYA levels ... indoor pool do this for that very reason.

CYA is really like a sunscreen for the FC. I would still think you might be better off close to 30ppm (which is the low end of the recommendation) and then you still could get away with occasional puck usage.

In addition to jbliz's comments, it also holds some of the FC in reserve since the amount of chlorine needed for a 0 cya pool is very little and hard to manage since it is used up quickly (by sun and organics).

I think you already know how this works. You want to have enough CYA so that you can practically and affordably keep FC in the pool, but not so much that it reduces the FC effectiveness too much. Like so much of everything, it's a trade-off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.