HELP ME PLEASE

May 20, 2012
I have followed this site extremely closely and have done alot of what I have seen recommended. Here is my problem: We have an in ground L-shaped pool approx 35,000 - 40,000 gal of water. it is crystal clear but it will not hold chlorine. it gets full sun all the time, but I tried to shock it last night with bleach and woke up this morning and tested and theres nothing left. I used the test strips and now I know I need a FAS DPD Test kit in order to get more accurat results. I dont know how high the FC went up too because it only goes to 10. I put 1274 oz of bleach in my pool! and now there is nothing in there. The
CYA is staing right around 80-100. We have a Chlorinator and in it there are Trichlor tablets. I know they add CYA, but the CYA is stabilized at those numbers pretty well. Howmuch freakin bleach do I need to add to get it to the shcok level that is required for the CYA number. I look at the chart and see 39, but I dont know it unless I get a kit. I did the pool calculator and it said for 40,000 add 223 oz. Well thats wrong. please help me! We have spent over $400 on chemicals already.

Your chlorine level may be so high it's bleaching out the test strips. Take a sample to the pool store ASAP. Don't let them sell you anything except toys and brushes though.

A test kit will pay for itself many times over in chemical savings. Get one.

And stop using Trichlor. Your CYA is already so high that you'll need to buy bleach by the pallet to shock it if it turns green....as you've discovered.

We have spent over $400 on chemicals already.
That's about 5-6 times the amount you would have spent on a good kit that would have taught you that you didn't need those chemicals. Sorry to be blunt, but that's the truth.

Your CYA is so high, it makes your chlorine ineffective. In order to manage your pool successfully, you must drain about 50% of your pool water or whatever it takes to get your CYA down to around 40-50ppm.

Once that's done, you can begin a shock process that is all spelled out up in pool school that will allow you to hold a chlorine residual.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It's where you start to help you understand how to manage your pool. Then, at some point, you must get a test kit that will stop all your guess work and allow you to understand exactly what is happening in your pool.

If I drain half of our pool I am gonna spend hundreds in water bill just to fill it back up. Is there another avenue to bringing the cya down without given the leeches at the pool store any more money?? We are removing our trichlor from the chlorinator now. gonna used nothing from bleach here on out but gotta fix this problem first. thanks

fivelittlegals said:
If I drain half of our pool I am gonna spend hundreds in water bill just to fill it back up. Is there another avenue to bringing the cya down without given the leeches at the pool store any more money?? We are removing our trichlor from the chlorinator now. gonna used nothing from bleach here on out but gotta fix this problem first. thanks
Honestly, you really need to get a quality test kit like the TF-100 or the taylor k-2006. At this point Your only options are a reverse osmosis treatment or a partial drain and refill...

I would urge you to get one of the test kits recommended on TFP. You will soon realize that the test kit money is the best pool money you have ever spent. Buy the kit. Use the kit. Read the forum. Post questions when you can provide reliable test results and are in a mindset to follow the advice. The result will be some pain up front (in the form of money and time - but less money than you have put into it) and then season after season of a relaxing pool experience where YOU are in control of your water.

My understanding is that CYA over 100 is hard to test for, so if you are showing that as a result, it is possible your actual number is much higher. Again, reliable test results are required to gain control over your water. Good luck, and rest assured that if you allow yourself to follow the advice on this forum, this will be the last season with this sort of frustration -- problems my always arise, but you'll have the necessary tools (test kit and knowledge) to regain control efficiently (both from a money and time perspective).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.