New fiberglass pool is full of cracks... HELP!

Oh, one other observation (a minor one relative to the bigger problems, but still worth noting). When we were in the quoting phase, I asked what kind of LED lights were being spec'd. He said they were PAL lights. That raised a red flag, as I had assumed the lights would be Pentair, so they'd be controllable by the Easytouch. He said not to worry, the Easytouch would control them.

I then asked him very specifically, "so you mean that the colors can be changed by selecting the colors from the menu on the Easytouch, not just by manually cycling the power off and on numerous times to step through the different colors, right?" He was very clear in his answer... "yes, all these manufacturers' lighting products work together and communicate with each other" (or something to that effect... I don't remember the exact wording, but he made it clear that the Easytouch would communicate with the PAL lights).

I accepted this, though it didn't sound right to me. But a few days ago, I noticed this thread...

northernn-va-leisure-38-moroccan-install-t43659.html

He mentions having PAL lights and an Easytouch, and that the Easytouch does not control the color of the lights.

Of course, the Intellibrites are significantly more expensive than the PALs, but I would have paid the difference to be able to control the colors with the Easytouch.

--Michael

I suspect your right in that the response for the tile bottom doesn't need to be any more than "it's not what we ordered and it's not what we want".
It's like agreeing to buy a red dodge caravan and then being changed at the last minute to a blue ford windstar, sure their both minivans but one is very different.

This really has to be the final nail in the coffin, I don't see how any reasonable person would think they could salvage this job. The guy really only has one option: attempt to knock many many thousands off the price in an attempt to sway you to tile it so he can just finish it up and move on.

Assuming everything goes well, have you thought about what to do if the guy FINALLY gives in and agrees to pull it out and replace it? I'm wondering if you can contract another installer to act as foreman/consultant to you, so they can assess the various stages and report to you on the quality.
Just a thought.

It may be the case that you can tile it. Folks at JohnBridge.com would be the people to ask.

That said how would they grout it? And with what?

Fiberglass pool= smooth non textured surface right? Tile pool = rought uneven surface with many more places for dirt to become trapped.

Good that manufacture has admitted it can't be repaired, very good i would think.

cramar said:
Assuming everything goes well, have you thought about what to do if the guy FINALLY gives in and agrees to pull it out and replace it? I'm wondering if you can contract another installer to act as foreman/consultant to you, so they can assess the various stages and report to you on the quality.

That's a good idea. At a bare minimum, we'd need a written agreement as to how the installation will be done (which really only needs to consist of "follow the manufacturer's installation manual" and a few other things). But also having a knowledgeable set of eyes there, at least on the day the pool is set/filled/backfilled, would help ensure it's done right at that corners aren't cut this time. It's a shame I even have to be considering this, but given all the mistakes that were made, I think it's reasonable.

--Michael

harleysilo said:
It may be the case that you can tile it. Folks at JohnBridge.com would be the people to ask.

That said how would they grout it? And with what?

Fiberglass pool= smooth non textured surface right? Tile pool = rought uneven surface with many more places for dirt to become trapped.

Oh, I'm sure it can be done. He mentioned a silicone-based grout... presumably this would be less porous and rough than regular grout, but still would surely not be as maintenance-free as fiberglass.

--Michael

Wow. Just spent my Friday afternoon reading this post. I just finished getting my pool installed and the little problems I had are nothing compared to this.
I hope you can stand your ground. I would settle for nothing but a whole new pool installed by a different builder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There hasn't been any official response from the other side regarding the manufacturer's determination that the shell cannot be repaired, though they indicated in a phone call that they were incredulous that we weren't jumping up and down with joy with the prospect of getting an "upgrade" to a tiled bottom. Our attorney confirms that we have no duty to accept this.

They are interpreting (or at least pretending to) the manufacturer's letter as almost a positive for them, emphasizing the portion of the letter that gives the opinion that there are no concerns about the structural integrity of the shell (which our experts disagree with) and that the warranty (well, aside from all the gelcoat cracks) is otherwise still valid, while seemingly ignoring that part that describes how the "unsightly" cracks cannot be repaired after all (just as our experts have been telling us). They seem to have forgotten that the bulk of their (the builder's) official response letter earlier this month centered on their stance that the shell was easily repairable to like-new condition, and that we had to give them the opportunity to make these repairs. With that rug now abruptly pulled out from under them, I'm mildly curious as to what the next argument will be.

Regardless, the lawsuit is being drafted today and a copy will be sent to them, along with a letter giving the builder the opportunity to come remove the shell (if he wants to save himself some money vs. us having the new builder do it). He'll have until next Friday to commence work. Once that deadline passes, the suit will be filed and we'll start actively working getting another builder over here.

FYI, the letter from the manufacturer confirmed my assumption that they (and presumably the builder) are reading this thread.

--Michael

Stunning...absolutely stunning.
I can't believe a reasonable person would still try and dig their heels in and salvage this, the notion that they are "incredulous" that your not happy at the notion of having the bottom tiled defies logic, it's absurd.
I really thought this would start the end game of having the pool removed and re-done, it's amazing that some people are incapable at admitting fault and just doing what needs to be done. Can't help but wonder if the guys just taking it personally now.

I simply don't understand how the guy thinks he comes out ahead in any other way except fixing the problem. The legal bills versus lost time, versus the potential for lost business....it's stunning.....simply stunning :hammer:

I feel for you man!!

mcaswell said:
FYI, the letter from the manufacturer confirmed my assumption that they (and presumably the builder) are reading this thread.

--Michael

Then I would think that the manufacturer would want this mess cleaned up as soon as possible. Not sure why the builder wouldn't want to do the right thing and save his reputation.

The installer has about $20,000 in costs at stake so it's no surprise there is an effort on his part to not do what needs to be done. This was his screw up and not the manufacturer's. The manufacturer will wash their hands of him but there will always be another manufacturer for an installer going forward.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.