Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New low volt lighting.

1. Back To Top    #1

New low volt lighting.

For my 15 years at my job I got a Amazon gift card I used to purchase outdoor lighting for our pool! I really wished I would have added this sooner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New low volt lighting.

Very nice
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks awesome. Mind letting us know what kind of lights they are?
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, please give details!

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought a good 600 watt transformer and good quality cable. I found outdoor spot lights on Amazon which have a good rating. The brand is Paradise lighting. The lights were 15 bucks for 50w and 12 for 20w. I debated on spending the big bucks for pro grade lights but I couldn't justify the money. Even if these last 3 years and need to replaced I could buy 10 for the cost of one high quality light. The lights are made out of cast aluminum and seem to be pretty sturdy. From what I read online the biggest issue when installing outdoor lighting is over loading the line so I ended up running one line for every two lights. I have 6 50w and 2 20w lights. I just used direct burial cable and used my free labor, 2 boys, to help me dig the trench. I used water proof wire nuts and then bagged and zip tied the bag before burying the bag side up in the ground. This is the same thing I did for my outdoor speakers and they have worked without any issues. I also still have plenty of extra power if I want to add more lights. Only time will tell if going the cheaper route was the right thing. Overall I am happy with the look.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy
    I bought a good 600 watt transformer and good quality cable. I found outdoor spot lights on Amazon which have a good rating. The brand is Paradise lighting. The lights were 15 bucks for 50w and 12 for 20w. I debated on spending the big bucks for pro grade lights but I couldn't justify the money. Even if these last 3 years and need to replaced I could buy 10 for the cost of one high quality light. The lights are made out of cast aluminum and seem to be pretty sturdy. From what I read online the biggest issue when installing outdoor lighting is over loading the line so I ended up running one line for every two lights. I have 6 50w and 2 20w lights. I just used direct burial cable and used my free labor, 2 boys, to help me dig the trench. I used water proof wire nuts and then bagged and zip tied the bag before burying the bag side up in the ground. This is the same thing I did for my outdoor speakers and they have worked without any issues. I also still have plenty of extra power if I want to add more lights. Only time will tell if going the cheaper route was the right thing. Overall I am happy with the look.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. Im planning on doing something very similar and this will be a big help. Looks Great!!!!
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100