Water in the gas line??

Are you sure there is water in the gas line, and not air?

If so it depends on how it's getting in, some older underground pipes can corrode allowing water to seep in. Also keep in mind the pressure of gas is relatively low therefor water will find it's way in. In this case, digging it up and replacing the piping is best solution. Just make sure not to use the heater until the water is removed and you are sure there is no more water.

While water can occasionally get into gas lines, but that is really rather unusual. Heaters failing to startup is fairly common, and not usually caused by water in the gas line. Unless you have some specific reason to believe there is water in the gas line I would look elsewhere.

The most common problem that prevents heaters from starting up in the spring is debris in the combustion chamber, often brought in by rodents.

I'm not sure. This is a possible cause that has been suggested by a pool guy who hasn't seen the problem yet. I was wondering how common this is? I have a post on this forum as my Raypak won't fire up. The gas line would be about 10 years old. I wold have thought that gas lines are very strong but maybe this is a common problem?

JasonLion said:
While water can occasionally get into gas lines, that is really quite unusual. Heaters failing to startup is fairly common, and not usually caused by water in the gas line. Unless you have some specific reason to believe there is water in the gas line I would look elsewhere.

The most common problem that prevents heaters from starting up in the spring is debris in the combustion chamber, often brought in by rodents.

Yes, I would think it uncommon also, that's why I posted. I'd like to pull the drawer out that holds the burners but don't know if that's a big job or not. Still looking for someone in Houston area who sounds like they know what to do to fix this.

Why do you want to pull the burner tray? Do you smell gas when it tries to fire? Can you hear it sparking and can you hear the gas valve click open when it tries to fire? IS there a problem with the regulator and it's providing gas to the unit?

You really do need to find someone in your area that works on these units to get down to the cause. Try calling this company and ask if they can refer you to someone that works on gas pool heaters. This is a supply house for pool products and they probably know someone that uses them that they can recommend.

Superior Pool Products - (281) 776-0808

I actually had this occur to me, however, the gas line was left disconnected from the heater over the fall and winter months and when it was reconnected the line was not blown out (the apprentice did the hookup in the spring). The heater would not start. The gas installer came out (after 20 lashings to the apprentice) and blew out the lines and all's been good ever since (this was in 2008).

How is the gas pressure? Black iron pipe that is used for house gas lines is sometimes used for underground gas lines and these are notorious for rusting rather quickly. Even galvanized pipe can corrode depending on the soil chemistry. When we bought our house, I tried to run our heater, and it just wouldn't start. I called a pool guy out and he first thought it might be a regulator or igniter issue. After about an hour of playing around with this, he tested the pressure and found it to be very weak. It turned out that the gas line was pretty much corroded through. This was confirmed by a faint odor of gas in a couple of places in the yard where the line was run. We had to re-do the line. I called in a plumber and they quoted me $9200! I literally laughed in his face thinking I could do the line myself for much cheaper. I hired a couple of guys to dig a trench, and then talked to our local building inspector. He requested sch. 80 PVC, but I soon found out that gas lines need to be done with yellow PE pipe, and this generally requires special plate welders. So, I called around and found a plumber who would do the line with welded PE pipe, including the appropriate PE to coated iron risers for $1200. This was very reasonable for a 150' run of 1 1/2 inch line with a T off to the BBQ island. So, for about 1/4 of the cost of the original quote, the line was done. The inspector did a pressure test and all was good and up to code.

Obviously, I wasn't happy when I learned that the gas line had to be replaced, but it's good to know that it is much safer now and likely to last much longer. You should definitely make sure to have the gas pressure tested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.