newbie from Middletown,Ohio

Apr 15, 2012
SW Ohio
Hi everyone
my name is Mike i have been lurking and reading and learning about pools from this fabulous website for about a month, last year i bought a intex 18x52 round agp with the 1600 sand filter and have recently purchased a swg as a add on. The pool is still in the box in the garage while i build the privacy fence and prepare the site.
i plan on doing the BBB method as a matter of fact i just bought 6-182 oz bottles of lowes brand bleach at 6% for 2.96 a piece and am going back to get 6 more tomar,
to get a jump on the cost of opening it within the next few weeks. i am going to order one of the good test kits to try to do this right the first time, my first question is should i open the pool using the BBB method and get all the levels to where they should be and then start using the swg?. i will be filling the pool with city water i was wondering if i should take a sample to a pool store to check it for all the different things so i know where i stand with the quality of the water till my test kit gets here?
I'm gonna have a million other questions because i want to do this right and i know the people on this site know what they are talking about, thanks for the information in advance.....once again awesome site everyone!!!!! Mike

Welcome to tfp, fast 1971chevelle :wave:
fast1971chevelle said:
my first question is should i open the pool using the BBB method and get all the levels to where they should be and then start using the swg?
You do not have to get everything perfect before turning on the swg. Use bleach/liquid chlorine to get up to your target FC range, then start the swg (after you salt has disolved). Make sure you ph is adjusted and you start getting some CYA in the pool.

fast1971chevelle said:
i will be filling the pool with city water i was wondering if i should take a sample to a pool store to check it for all the different things so i know where i stand with the quality of the water till my test kit gets here?
Probably not necessary, but it wWon't hurt to do that, unless they get you to buy a bunch of stuff.