Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: losing water out waste

1. Back To Top    #1

losing water out waste

Water level is dropping, finally figured out the source. Seems water is coming out waste when filter runs (set to filter of course!). Is this an easy fix? Are we talking a new pump/system? If yes, any recommendations?? Thanks!
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite crystal sand filter- Pentair Water Pool & Spa , Hayward Super Pump Self Priming 10" lift, BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: losing water out waste

Most likely, the multiport spider (spoke) gasket is bad and needs to be replaced. It is not a super-hard fix if you are relatively handy.

Worst case, you might need a new multiport valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks James. So what is the best way to test this? Do we just get a new gasket, and if that works, problem solved? Our system is starting it's 4th season I believe. We were getting ready to change out sand once we get the pool cleaned out, etc. Do you have any idea what the life expectancy on the type filter/pump we have, by chance? Guess I'm wondering if this multiport valve would most likely be the culprit for a system the age of ours. I have no idea how long these things should hold up!
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite crystal sand filter- Pentair Water Pool & Spa , Hayward Super Pump Self Priming 10" lift, BBB method

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Open up the multiport and look at it. It will be fairly obvious if the spider gasket is not seated properly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School