Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High PH and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

High PH and TA

Hi,

I've checked PH few over last couple of months and it's consistently high.

TC - 5
    PH > 8.2
    TA - 150
    TH - 320
    CYA - 80

According to pool calculator, I should add 38 oz of Acid to bring PH down to 76. Should I add it all at once or do it slowly over couple of days.

Also, should I worry about TA levels and try to bring it down?
    Northern CA. 19K gallon Gunite pool, original plaster, DE filter, Kreepy Krauly legend, 1 HP filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High PH and TA

You should add it all at once in front of a running return.

Don't worry about the TA right now. It will come down as you add acid to bring the pH down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Adding importance to what bama said, you should never let it stay over 7.8 for any length of time.

I suggest you test your pH at the very least twice weekly and bring it down immediately if it is higher than 7.8
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. I added acid couple of days ago and PH was down to 7.8 today and water is also clearer. I added some more today to bring it down to 7.6

What FC level you guys recommend for me given the results above?
    Northern CA. 19K gallon Gunite pool, original plaster, DE filter, Kreepy Krauly legend, 1 HP filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by twitter
    What FC level you guys recommend for me given the results above?
    With CYA of 80, FC should be between 6 and 11, and never below 6.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

twitter,

Have you found the FC/CYA chart in Pool School?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I found the FC/CYA chart and will follow it. I've been doing OTO test for chlorine so far and kept total chlorine more than 5 most of the time. I received TF-100 yesterday and will start using it for more accurate testing for FC/CC. But it may be too much work for day-to-day testing. What if I mix equal parts pool water with tap water and use it for OTO test, then multiply the result by two. Would it give decent results for daily testing?

-Twitter

8. Back To Top    #8

Not really, dilution doubles the error, which is already fairly large. What I do is use the OTO test just to make sure that FC is fairly high, without getting a precise number. Then once or twice a week I do a FAS-DPD chlorine test to get an exact number and adjust how much chlorine I need to be adding for the next week. That works fairly well as long as you keep track of things that might require extra chlorine (a really hot day, a major storm, extra people swimming) and do extra testing right after anything like that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by twitter
    I found the FC/CYA chart and will follow it. I've been doing OTO test for chlorine so far and kept total chlorine more than 5 most of the time. I received TF-100 yesterday and will start using it for more accurate testing for FC/CC. But it may be too much work for day-to-day testing. What if I mix equal parts pool water with tap water and use it for OTO test, then multiply the result by two. Would it give decent results for daily testing?

-Twitter
    Naw, the FAS-DPD test is easy. If you want to conserve the reagents, use a 10ml sample and multiply each drop by .5. You'll get the hang of things within a couple weeks to where you can predict with considerable accuracy what readings you'll be getting when you test. That's when you can slack off a little.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!