Cal Hypo Question

hey all just awoke and glad to report the water is looking better everyday. She is still a little cloudy but no algea to report and with a little filter cleaning should be awesome in a couple of days. Will keep an eye on things closely and report back with final water clarity in a couple of days! Jblizze I have been brushing those areas mentioned earlier daily since shock treatment started. Thanks all!

Well, you can either vacuum it directly to waste and get it out of your system or vacuum it to the filter ... and possibly have to clean the cartridge sooner. I would think ideally if you could do a quick vacuum to waste, that would be the best option.

water test as of 7:00 pm yesterday

CYA 50
FC 8.5
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 120

Yesterday vacuumed to waste, brushed pool, cleaned filter daily, still cant rid the pool of this stuff. Not sure what it is. Any ideas of how to rid this stuff from my pool? Water looks good, pics attached.

Attachments

• pool 1.jpg
    pool 1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 84
  • pool 2.jpg
    pool 2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 84
OK it may be that Im impatient and want to see my pool floor clean again but I have followed all's advice and maintained my FC at 10 and still see no improvement. It seems more and more is on the floor as each day passes leading me to believe that i am still killing this stuff. Do I need to shock again closely following PS directions?

Looking back over your posts, it appears you never shocked it properly. I can't find any reports of your FC ever being higher than around 13 and, ideally, it should never have been lower than around 20

Start over. Follow the directions in Pool School precisely. Shock your pool up to 24-28ppm and HOLD IT THERE until your water is crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Always be VERY careful using cal-hypo with a vinyl lined pool. I used some a couple of years ago that said it was quick dissolve so no predissolving was necessary even with vinyl, and now have 'freckles' on the bottom of my pool. :grrrr:

ok, shocked my pool with bleach to FC 30 and (CC 0) the water is very clear and dead algea is lying on the pool floor. I ran a CYA test before shock and it read 65.....I will do an overnight FC LOSS test, clean and change the filter, and brush the pool. I plan on letting my FC drop to 24 and maintain until my algea is gone.....This stuff will disolve in time right? Any other suggestions is strongly encouraged! Thanks

Shocked at 2:30 today and reached my FC goal. Tested the water at 6:50PM an the water tested FC 28. It is now sprinkling outside and wonder if it rains tonight will this throw my test off in the morning to see if I had clorine loss overnight? Thanks gang for the help....I will get there!

Still In Progress

MOD EDIT: Post moved to original topic. I know you wanted this post to get some attention, and it will here in your previous post, and that helps us with the history. Thanks. linen

I started a new thread because the other was running quite long and wanted to update tose who are working with me to clear my pool of what lloks like dead or Alive algea on my pool floor. Just a quick rundown, I did shock my pool to FC 30 and have been maintaining a level of FC 20 since the last couple of days. NO CC to report. Monday when I am off I plan on performing the overnight loss test and see wher I am. I am working 12 hour shifts so doing this now is impossible for accurate readings. The water is Crystal clear and I am running my rover daily to help the pump keep the water moving....I have performed no other test than a PH test and It was 8......(high clorine). The weather here has been very overcast and cool and the pool water is cold to this old man so not able to get in and vacumm/brush like I would like to due to my problem. Good news is it looks like the sediment that is lying on the floor is not as much today as yesterday so maybe Im getting there. I have learned my lesson when it comes to using bleach and WILL never use anything else. So for now do you see anything else I schold be doing?

Maintain FC at 20
Run rover daily to move water
Change filter out every 3 days
Brush the pool what I can reach to include the walls daily
Perform an overnight loss test Monday night
At what point should I perform the other test like PH?

When directed by the pool Geeks I will provide full test results using the TF100 test kit.

Thanks All!

Ok guys/gals.....Hope the weather warms up enough this weekend to roll up my sleeves and begin again my battle with dead algea on the floor of my pool :grrrr:
The water looks GREAT as I have maintained a FC level of 15 over the last several days. :goodjob:
I will perform full test on Sunday temps permitting and post. I will continue to follow your suggestions and clear this mess up once and for all.
I do have a question:

1) To help move this progress along would adding DE to my filter cartridge help since I understand algea particles can be so fine?

1) To help move this progress along would adding DE to my filter cartridge help since I understand algea particles can be so fine?
No, it may very well make it worse. The sand will pick up the particles just fine and adding DE only increases the frequency that you will have to backwash.

duraleigh said:
No, it may very well make it worse. The sand will pick up the particles just fine and adding DE only increases the frequency that you will have to backwash.

Man Dave has been off the last few days :wink:

I do not think you want to add DE to a cartridge filter ... I have actually never read of that being done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.