406A Raypak rattling noise in header

brendanmcaninch

Jul 6, 2020
orinda ca
My 406A has had a rattling noise in the header. It shuts itself down and I suspect the Unitherm Governor or bypass or both is the problem.
I can't get the square retainer bolt out. Any suggestions? It is not in that bad of shape but had Leslie's pool come and he had a simple crescent wrench he couldn't get it open with. Here is a picture of square bolt- . The end problem seems to be flow is constricted and overheats and get ignition failure as faults. Checked everything else out. Any guidance?

Attachments

• IMG_4754 (1).pdf
    575.1 KB · Views: 9
Soak the bolt with Kroil penetrating oil for a while.

Put a socket wrench on it. You may end up snapping the bolt.

With that much corrosion the heater probably has other problems.

Good luck.

Soak the bolt with Kroil penetrating oil for a while.

Put a socket wrench on it. You may end up snapping the bolt.

With that much corrosion the heater probably has other problems.

Good luck.
sorry i am new at this- but can i take the header off from detatching the inlet/outlet access pipes as well as the 8 bolts where it attaches to the heat exchanger and just pull it out? Or will i need to cut out some plumbing pipes? Will that give me access to repair and replace parts in the header if need be)- or do i have to get that large brass bolt off. Thanks again for your help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.