Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting Ready do I need new Checmicals for Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting Ready do I need new Checmicals for Test Kit

I have a TF-100 test kit that I bought last year. It stayed in my attached garage that I would say gets down to 45-50 degrees on the coldest days. How do I know if my checmicals are still good?
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Getting Ready do I need new Checmicals for Test Kit

Generally speaking, dark and cool and not freezing is a good way to store test kit reagents and most will last for years if stored carefully. They can go bad very quickly if they freeze, are left in the sun, or get hot for extended periods.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi rjg202,
    The Florida heat killed my R-0011L for my calcium hardness test, just replaced it.
    Most likely from forgetting to bring it back in after testing and pool party's, a few days later I would remember it on the porch.
    All other tests work fine. My kit is 11 months old.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have reagents three years old that I periodically test against the newer ones (now one year old) to see if I need to throw them out. the only ones that have ever gone bad were the ones left out in the sun.
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Well, thanks a lot, folks! My refill business will be down the tubes this summer because of your truthful posts!!

I'm off to Wal-mart to apply for a Greeter's job for the rest of the summer!

Seriously, I still have some powder that's pretty darn old (at least three years) and it works just fine.

I have inadvertently left the R-0600 and the R-0014 (thats the reagent for pH and the OTO chlorine test) in the sun for just a day or two and it killed them.

So, in your air-conditioned house is the finest way you can store the kit. Cool or cold is good but it must NOT freeze. I don't know this for a fact but I suspect a hot garage in the summer will shorten the lifespan as well.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    The only problem with that is that they don't have greeters anymore! Maybe you could go to work for Leslies!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    The only problem with that is that they don't have greeters anymore! Maybe you could go to work for Leslies!
    Ouch Dave! Well... on the other hand you could get their testing standards up to professional levels and then they would fire you because sales of chemical products are down!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School