Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone else thinking about opening?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone else thinking about opening?

It has been a pretty warm winter here in Virginia. Today, the high temp is going to be in the low 60s, mid 60s tomorrow. I am giving some serious thought to uncovering the pool and getting things started. I am worried that with this warm weather I am going to have an algae festival under my pool cover. At least with it up and running and can see whats going on!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone else thinking about opening?

Odd to see this. We've got plans for a new pump and solar heater this year. Even though they're calling for snow soon I too am planning on an early opening. I'm looking at mid-April however. About a month early.

I already know we've got green. I pulled back the cover some and could see a green bottom. At least I could see the bottom though.

3. Back To Top    #3

I've contemplated doing this as well.
    Our mild winter with lots of rain has probably thrown my numbers way off, and I like you, don't want to open to something that swamp thing would live in.
    I may hold off til mid March and see how the water looks and see if I can make it to April.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Took my cover off 2/23. Just got my pool in late August last year and I couldn't wait to see what it looked like. Used a mesh cover to let rain through and have to say I'm pleased. A few worms and a few leaves blew under but wated was clear and no green. Vacuumed and ran filter and everything looks fine. Shut down at shock level and covered it up and everything looks good. Had my pump set to come on at 35F to keep everything from freezing and this winter it didn't run much at all. Today temp was up to 68 and pool temp got to 55. Added 40lbs of salt today because it was down to 2900ppm. Can't wait until warm weather.
    16x32 grecian IG vinyl, appx 19000 gallons, s210t sand filter, Hayward 1HP pump, T-Cell-15 SWCG, Goldline Aqua Plus Controller

5. Back To Top    #5

I only wish I could consider it already!! I will live through those of you who get to open earlier than I
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

6. Back To Top    #6

It is supposed to rain all day here tomorrow but I will get out there anyway and smash my face against the mesh cover and see what things look like. I will need to go to Sam's and get some bleach before I uncover it anyway. I will be nice when the warm weather gets here and everyone comes back to the forum to visit.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Having completed so late in the season this is killing me also. I want to open soon! Got my 55lbs of boric acid and ready to get thing rolling. Probably will hold off until April with all my will power.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by BadOleRoss
    It is supposed to rain all day here tomorrow but I will get out there anyway and smash my face against the mesh cover and see what things look like. I will need to go to Sam's and get some bleach before I uncover it anyway. I will be nice when the warm weather gets here and everyone comes back to the forum to visit.
    Why smash your face against it?
    I have a mesh cover as well, but I just unhook a corner and pull it back to look at the pool. That way I get a much better view of whats going on, and it also allows me to take a water sample to test where i'm at. But i've also had to do this to drain my pool 3 or so times already. It's probably due for another drain after today.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Smashing my face against the cover lets me see what going on. There really is no need for me to take a water sample because I am not prepared to turn on the pumps or add anything to the water to correct any issues. In all the years I have had my pool I have never had to drain water off during the winter, when I open it the levels are a little high but after I vacuum to waste to lean things up I usually end up having to add water. It rained pretty hard my entire day off so I never did get a look at the pool.....maybe today.

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, popped the corner off to take a loot at the pool and other then a little debris and some worms on the bottom of the pool everything looks good. Water is still crystal clear. With the weather averaging out to the low 50s for the next week I think I am going to drag my feet a little longer on the opening. I did go online and order more testing supplies.

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

I opened a corner to find water 1" from liner bead. Used a pump to drop several inches for safety.

12. Back To Top    #12

Im in Virginia too, and although it was 70 here today, the water in the pool is just inching up past 40...way too cold for algae to grow. I'm open due a cover failure, and the mild winter convinced me not to wrestle the cover. I'm thinking of topping off to get a head start on getting the pool clean...but I'll probably wait too. I have a swg to buy and install, so I'll wait till then.

13. Back To Top    #13

It will be in the 70s next week here in Las Vegas. Oh heck yeah on opening soon.
    12K gal, In Ground, Vinyl, Sand Filter 35 GPM, Hayward Pump 1 hp, Mesh Safety Cover

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by timdog
    Im in Virginia too, and although it was 70 here today, the water in the pool is just inching up past 40...way too cold for algae to grow. I'm open due a cover failure, and the mild winter convinced me not to wrestle the cover. I'm thinking of topping off to get a head start on getting the pool clean...but I'll probably wait too. I have a swg to buy and install, so I'll wait till then.
    Good to hear the water temps are still low. I'll drag my feet another week or 2 and monitor the situation.

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits