Through Wall Skimmer on Rectangular Intex Ultra Frame UPDATE

Re: Through Wall Skimmer on Rectangular Intex Ultra Frame UP

Pretty well thanks, I drained the pool, went and got some vinyl to reinforce the area and have now re-installed the skimmer filling the pool now. So far so good. I'll post a pic when full. Thanks for checking on me. Nice to know. :)

It's been a few years since you all have done this modification. I have a 32x16x52 intex pool with the standard inlet and outlet for the sand filter. It is already set up and running. My question is, how has this modification held up on the pool? Has it started to leak, or tear? I just set up my pool a week ago and I am scared out of my wits to cut the liner. I have the know how of how to do it, I'm just wondering how yours is holding up. I only like to do things once, and hopefully right the first time!!!

Thanks for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hi, I haven't changed a thing from the pictures on the first page, there's not any sign of stretching or tearing around the skimmer hole. I removed the skimmer to allow me to roll the liner up for winter storage and refitted in April, as before I didn't use any sealer and the original gaskets sealed again just fine.

The only possible issue I could find was when I tightened the screws I heard the skimmer box crack slightly suggesting its becoming brittle, I'm not to worried as it was fairly cheap at £35 so if I have to replace it every 2 years then its no big deal.

This setup works very extremely well for me with the skimmer and the strainers in the pool, I haven't used a vacuum since. If and when it comes time to change the pool I would do exactly the same setup again from the start.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Thanks a lot. Now it's time to decide if I should drain the salt water pool (which I just filled a week ago) and install the skimmer, or just wait until I winterize it. Also, what is the name of the filters that were installed in the original skimmer hole at the bottom of the pool? That is quite genius, espically if it keeps you from having to vacuum the pool.

Thanks again!

Lol, choices choices :-D

These are the strainers I used:

http://www.fishfurfeather.com/aqua-medi ... -4164.html

They also do a 50mm to 1.5" adapter.

In the return to the pool I installed a bend which directs the water downwards to the corner this kind of pushes the water in a clockwise direction which I think helps stop the debris settling,

SDC14889.jpg

Hi, I have the 16x32x52 intex pool. I was just wandering if you were having problems with circulation in the pool before the mod. My pool is turning green in all 4 corners. I'm not sure what to fix first. Really frustrated at this point.

Eagleeyes011 said:
It's been a few years since you all have done this modification. I have a 32x16x52 intex pool with the standard inlet and outlet for the sand filter. It is already set up and running. My question is, how has this modification held up on the pool? Has it started to leak, or tear? I just set up my pool a week ago and I am scared out of my wits to cut the liner. I have the know how of how to do it, I'm just wondering how yours is holding up. I only like to do things once, and hopefully right the first time!!!

Thanks for the help!
Fear not the cutting of the liner. I just installed hard plumbing and the Hayward wall skimmer. The installation of the skimmer was the easiest thing I've done to the pool yet. In fact, it's the only thing that did NOT leak after the hard plumb.

nicolegiron said:
Hi, I have the 16x32x52 intex pool. I was just wandering if you were having problems with circulation in the pool before the mod. My pool is turning green in all 4 corners. I'm not sure what to fix first. Really frustrated at this point.

If you are using the filter that came with your intex pool, you most likely have a problem with circulation and capacity. Intex typically provides undersized filters with their pools. Also, their use of only a single underwater inflow/outflow makes the problem even worse. This is why most of us here upgrade their filters and add TTW skimmers to the intex pools.

nicolegiron said:

I only ran the original filtration for a short period, as PridgNYC said above it is woefully inadequate and the cartridges are not all that cheap and although can be cleaned and reused are never the same.

It does sound like circulation could be part of the problem, I would also look at the chlorine levels.

I know this is OT for "skimmers" but the footprint of the intex was discussed and I really need to know the footprint of the 9x18 model. I may just have enough room... Frustrated I could not find this info easily, on the intex site but google brought me here. Thanks in advance!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.