Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching from Tri-chlor to Bromine

1. Back To Top    #1

Switching from Tri-chlor to Bromine

I have a trichlor feeder with a trichlor ran indoor pool and i am looking into switching to bromine. can i use the same chlorinator? is there a concern with mixing the two chemicals in the same chlorinator?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Switching from Tri-chlor to Bromine

Why would you switch? Bromine is far more expensive. The only thing I use bromine on is in a spa.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

My State has all but banned stabilizer in indoor pools. I was interested in what all is involved in getting away from stabilizer.

4. Back To Top    #4

You might want to consider switching to liquid chlorine.

Don't put bromine tabs in the same feeder with chlorine tabs. Even if you want to go to bromine, I would recommend that you avoid bromine tabs as they contain a different type of stabilizer (DMH) that can build up and cause similar problems as cyanuric acid.

5. Back To Top    #5

If my chlorinator is empty of chlorine tabs, can i just start using the bromine in the unit? Is there a concern like you get when mixing trichlor and cal hypo?

6. Back To Top    #6

If it's an indoor pool you won't need to add stabilizer. As JW said, Liquid chlorine is a better option and doesn't have nearly the issues of Bromine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I will look into liquid...with a maximum limit of 50 ppm cya in our State, I have to stop using the trichloroethane to try to stay in compliance!

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

If they allow up to 50 ppm CYA you won't have any problem using liquid in an indoor pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

There should not be hardly any CYA with an indoor pool. There is no sun to burn off the FC so it isn't needed, though 10 ppm does seem to help with keeping CCs low and FC at a solidly measurable level. Using chlorinating liquid and an ORP based feeder is the best bet for you to begin with.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

10. Back To Top    #10

Bromine tabs require much more water (flow) to dissolve than trichlor. You could start using bromine in the chlorinator but it may not have enough flow of water to dissolve enough bromine to maintain a bromine residual. The minimum recommended level of bromine is 4.0 ppm. You will need a bromine test kit too.