New to pools - multiport value positions

b1021

Dec 12, 2011
Just purchased a house with a pool and am trying to learn the basics. I have a multiport valve that is connected to my pump. I want to backwash my sand filter but am unsure which position my valve should be in. I've attached pictures. I have read that 12 2 4 o'clock positions on some other threads, is that rule of thumb constant on all multiport valves because there is writing on it that says 'Filter' in blue. Its currently in the position in the picture as that's where it was when I purchases the house a few weeks ago. I did notice if I placed the handle over the 'Filter' my suction vacuum seems to have more power but my skimmer doesn't seem to work. When I place it back in the position as pictured, my skimmer starts sucking with more power and my vacuum goes slower. Is this normal?

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 205
  • valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 205
Welcome to TFP!

That is the valve that determines where the pump is pulling the water from. One side is probably the floor drain and the other side is probably a skimmer. You adjust it depending on where you want most of the water to come from. More flow on the skimmer and less flow on the main drain is probably your best choice.

As for backwashing the filter, there should be a separate valve for that. Can you post a broader pic of your equipment pad and give us some specs on the pool (and equipment) so that we know where to go with it?

Ok here are some pics. I measured my pool, its approx 34 x 18 and 6 ft deep at its deepest point, 2 1/2 by the stairs. I calculated it to be 14387 gallons.

Attachments

• Filter.JPG
    Filter.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 173
  • Filter Label.JPG
    Filter Label.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Heater.JPG
    Heater.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 173
You've got a push-pull / slide valve instead of a multiport. It's the vertical tube next to the filter with the handle on top. To backwash you turn off the pump, twist the handle to disengage the lock and then pull it up into the backwash position, then turn the pump back on. Once it runs clear turn the pump back off, valve back down, pump back on.

The downside to this valve is there's no "rinse" option. To compensate for this people sometimes put a three-way valve on their return line to connect to their waste line (same as the valve in front of your pump). That way when you turn it back to filter you can run the first 30 seconds through the waste line instead of back into the pool.

spishex said:
You've got a push-pull / slide valve instead of a multiport. It's the vertical tube next to the filter with the handle on top. To backwash you turn off the pump, twist the handle to disengage the lock and then pull it up into the backwash position, then turn the pump back on. Once it runs clear turn the pump back off, valve back down, pump back on.

The downside to this valve is there's no "rinse" option. To compensate for this people sometimes put a three-way valve on their return line to connect to their waste line (same as the valve in front of your pump). That way when you turn it back to filter you can run the first 30 seconds through the waste line instead of back into the pool.

Thanks for the info! I backwashed it tonight. My valve must be a little different as I push down instead of up.

So the valve in front of my pump, is this a a three way valve as you described? What would each positions do? If I move the handle from filter to the complete opposite, what does this do?

Also, there are a few knobs on some pvc pipes in front of my pump, looks like it goes to my heater. What are these for?

I'm relatively certain that they would be valves, but if you could snap a pic or two of the piping, enough to see all of the equipment and follow the lines to determine where they go, we could give more definitive answers.

The two valves in connected to the heater outlet look like they control two different return flows to the pool. One is on, one is off. Do you have any water features or a cleaner port in the wall?

The valve in front of the pump is a three-way valve. There's a gate on it opposite the handle which closes off whichever line it's pointed toward. In your case this likely controls your skimmer and main drain lines. Closing off one will increase the water flow to the other, so when you're vacuuming for instance you can close off the main drain side a bit to get more power to the vacuum. If you move it all the way around so the handle points the opposite direction of the pump you'll close the suction lines off completely and the pump will get no water.

Here are more pictures of all the piping. I circled the valves is question. There are two in front and one closer to the heater, which is round and looks to be red in color. I don't have any water features on my pool. There is a aeration thing on one side and I do have a automatic vacuum that connects to a port underwater. I think the aerator has something to turn it on in the cool decking as there is a hole in my cool decking inline with it.

I moved my handle on the three way valve from the filter position, where it was giving my vacuum all the power, to the complete opposite direction and it looked like water was going through my pump..so not sure what the difference is.

Attachments

• photo 1(1).JPG
    photo 1(1).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 107
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 107
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 107
The valve closest to the heater is just a bypass that allows excess water to go around the heater. As long as the heater is operating properly then it's fine as is (open), but if you start to get any overheating or waterflow issues with the heater you may want to close that valve.

The valve in front of your pump is connected to the vacuum on one port, and then whatever combination of main drain / skimmers you have on the other side. It will filter in either position unless you close off the third port going to the pump itself.

The two valves on the vertical pipes next to the heater control water returning to the pool. The larger pipe is open and likely controls your main returns. The smaller one is closed so open it up and see if you notice water coming from somewhere new at the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.